topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.  (Read 212060 times)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 02:39 PM »
Not really any point in rebooting, though. Just run the hotkeys.ahk (assuming Autohotkey is installed and ahk files associated with it)

labari

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 06:32 PM »
I am a long-time Powermarks user also. I started using Netvouz, which does have a Powermarks import facility. So there's another idea for orphaned PM users to try. I do note that they are having a moratorium on adding new users due to spam cleanup. But you can email them and request it.

HTH,

Lorane

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 07:16 PM »
Thanks for the very kind words, twinkler, that means a lot to me.

I can usually sort through all of this, but it's just getting so insanely busy.  I'm juggling my job (which is busy itself) with this stat class I'm taking, trying to get my website going, my music, trying to be remotely sociable....argh!  It's really just this preparation for grad school, I think I'd be able to handle everything else normally.

Anytime programming and coding get involved in my life, it adds a level of stress for me.  It's not that I'm not good at it, it's just that it's not something I do, and each code is particular to that application and it has to be so precise, so it's just another thing to learn.  That's what I went through and still going through with Wordpress (with css, php, xml, xhtml, etc.).  I don't really want to do that.  I'm just a software user, I like to click around and figure things out.  That's most of my motivation for even writing software reviews and stuff.  I just want our lives to be easier with this technology we have available and that's always my goal in my ramblings on software.  The more software helps us, the more time we have for doing more things that we love like our work, our music, families, friends, etc.  Right?

OK, sorry about that...long day.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 03:56 AM »
just a quick note.
I really like delicious bookmarks for FF, but!
Magnolia (similar to delicious) actually takes an snapshot of what you bookmark there, so you can see the page even if it's no longer available. JFYI.

several do this:
- magnolia
- yahoo bookmarks
- diigo (allows notes on page too)
- spurl

Out of these, all but magnolia work properly with opera.

I find that handy for certain type of bookmarks where i bookmark a specific page of information, but not for bookmarks which are about remembering a site - so I use them for a subset of sites

markstone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 12:00 PM »
I am the developer of Power Favorites. Twinkler mentioned my program in this post :Thmbsup:.  although the comment is not very positive  :-\. I'd like to know what features you all need most for managing bookmarks, I will try my best to follow your wisdom.

Thanks.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 12:25 PM »
Different people have different needs but what I am looking for is something that makes it easy to manage my bookmarks in one place then deploy to all browsers I might have, and possibly to online tool that support the exchange format:

- speedy management of bookmarks, especially moving/deleting, since i do that quite a bit
- fast search
- can add keywords/tags
- can grab bookmarks from browser(s), at the minimum from the active window, but if possible be tab aware and able to grab more. Alternatively a drop target
- gets basic information from website when available, i.e. keywords/description
- can open bookmark in browser (or has a browser internally)

tools to
- import/export/sync with bookmarks for: ie, firefox and other mozilla based browsers (eg kmeleon and flock, same filename but multiple locations), opera, safari, chrome etc. (note: all tools I have tried seem to lose opera's 'show on user bar' flag)
- find duplicates
- check bookmarks and mark any broken ones

Some tools have sexy extras like taking a screenshot etc.

In my recent tests my favorites were linkman (mostly due to the little resident search bar which I used a lot more than I would have thought - i am confused by the 2 pane system they use) and link commander (mostly the grabbing links, and a very clean and simple management interface)

Link commander might have been a buy for me but it is not maintained anymore much that I can tell - at least my question in their ticketing system is unanswered 6 months later!

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Hi Marc, nice to see you here.

Power Favorites, as you present it on your website, looks like a great program. I didn't try it out because I was looking for a program that can import my 4000 bookmarks from Powermarks, and it doesn't seem that yours can. (Although I have the programming skills to convert a Powermarks file to whatever the Power Favorites file format is, most people don't.)

As mentioned above, both miTaggedMarks and Netvouz can do this.

It's not clear to me from your site if your search facility is find-as-you-type; i.e. do the search results narrow with each letter I type into the search box, or do I have to type in a whole word and click that binoculars button? If the latter, I would consider that a major deficit and would encourage you to change that.

I agree with superboyac and patteo that Powermarks is about as close to perfect as programs get. In my opinion, anybody who can replicate or add to its features, while maintaining its simplicity and enabling importing of existing Powermarks bookmarks, would be doing a great thing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:49 PM by twinkler »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 01:24 PM »
I am the developer of Power Favorites. Twinkler mentioned my program in this post :Thmbsup:.  although the comment is not very positive  :-\. I'd like to know what features you all need most for managing bookmarks, I will try my best to follow your wisdom.

Thanks.
Thanks for the comment!  I haven't tried your program, but if you ask my input, I will say this much:  if you can make your program work just like PowerMarks, I will be ecstatic!

Personally what I'm looking for is this:
--If I want to go to a site, I click a button to open the program (or hotkey, whatever).  I see a big list of all my bookmarks in a compact form (I don't need the bookmarks taking up a lot of space, again, just look at Powermarks).
--I'd like my most visited sites to be at the top of the list (like Powermarks) so you're program needs to be able to track that information.  Usually I will just click on that bookmark at the top somewhere and go there.  That's it, I'm done.  See how simple that is?

--Now, in the case where I have to spend a little time finding a more obscure bookmark, I want it to be as fast as possible.  In Powermarks, there was a search box up top that was find-as-you-type (see my review here).  So I'll usually find what I'm looking for in a matter of a couple seconds.  No organization, no tree, nothing.  Just an address and a bunch of keywords and/or descriptions.

--When adding a bookmark, I'd like it to be as easy and fast as possible.  Click a button, and the url and keywords should be automatically generated and added to my list.  That's it.  Shouldn't even take a second in most cases.

That's how I use bookmarks and that's why I think PowerMarks was so great.  You just click and go.  I don't relate to people who need to organize bookmarks like crazy with trees and such (I'm not criticizing, I just don't relate).  I just want to click and go.  Mindlessly.

markstone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Thanks above all to your comments. It's my honor if you'd like to get a free copy of Power Favorites to evaluate. My email is [email protected]. Any suggestion is welcome.

I've implemented the feature of importing bookmarks from Powermarks. The search speed is OK while testing with about 7,000 bookmarks.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 04:08 AM »
Power Favorites certainly shows some potential, although like superboyac I'd like to see it work just like PowerMarks ;) Especially the quick add bookmark (no questions asked) is very useful.

Also, one thing quite annoyed me: Even though the setting Run at startup was unticked, it started with Windows for All Users!  :down: I'm running XP Home sp2 if that matters.

Edit: One more thing, what is the "Install Opera Addon" supposed to do? I tried it, but I don't notice anything different. Is it supposed to install a menu entry? Btw, I tried installing it both with Opera running and after closing it, so that's tried and tested.

Another thing, the help file is very limited. Doesn't even say the right name of the product and there's no search function. :huh:
xbel.png

Oh, and only copyrighted to 2005?
powfav.png
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:23 AM by TucknDar »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 01:27 PM »
Yes, tuckndar, my impressions were similar also.  I was using the firefox plugin and couldn't figure out what it does.  I made a list of comments and suggestions about the program, but it's at work.  I will post it on Monday.

It's actually quite close to functioning like Powermarks, it's really not that far off at all.  A couple of minor changes and it could be there very quickly.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 12:42 AM »
A new Linkman version 7.5(major update) released . with support for Powermarks:

http://www.outertech..._page=news&id=42

SKA

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 10:27 PM »
I totally forgot about Linkman, I've been meaning to try it out since the minireview done here.  So I just tried it and these are my intial impressions:
It is really powerful and customizable.  I like that.  But I can't seriously use it until it has a proper Firefox plugin.  Meaning, I need to be able to add bookmarks with a click of a button with all the appropriate information automatically filled.  Otherwise, I have to use another product.  But, besides that, it seems to be really awesome.  I also like how the program is very lightweight and fast.

Tomorrow, I will post suggestions for Power Favorites about how a couple of tweaks can make it very similar to Powermarks.  The same suggestions can be extended, of course, to any other bookmark manager, including Linkman.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:28 PM by superboyac »

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 02:21 PM »
I just installed and tried out Power Favorites. Although my overall impression is favorable and it might appeal to many people, there's a simple feature missing that makes the program ususable to me.

Powermarks enables selecting which fields appear as columns in the main bookmark list, and I depend on one of those columns being the tags associated with each bookmark. Power Favorites decides for you what fields are displayed, and tags are not one of them.

I realize that the tags of the currently highlighted bookmark are displayed in the bottom pane, but that’s not useful to me in browsing my bookmarks.

By the way, I noticed that the create date for imported Powermarks was often incorrect.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 05:05 PM »
I agree, the column customization is very useful.  As for the display on the bottom, I actually kind of like it.  A simple option to turn it on or off should be perfect.
I will post my suggestions in just a few...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 05:27 PM »
OK, here are my suggestions so far for Power Favorites.  If these things are implemented, I think there's no reason for current Powermarks users to not want to use Power Favorites.  Personally, I think Power Favorites is almost there, and I think my suggestions are pretty minor and shouldn't be that difficult to implement.  But I'm not a programmer, it's just my feeling.
Of course, these comments are also applicable to any other bookmark manager, including Linkman.  Essentially, there's are a few of the things that made us love Powermarks so much.

ESC key clears search
ESC key should clear the search box.  Additionally, in Powermarks, if you pressed the down key from the search box, it would immediately go into the list and you could navigate to the desired bookmark.  This was good for quick keyboard navigation.  I always wished that if you pressed the UP key from the top item, it would go back to the search box, but it didn't.  This is where Power Favorites can improve on that feature.
More keyboard shortcuts
There's a keyboard shortcut for opening the main window, but a lot of users would really appreciate keyboard shortcuts for all of the significant program functions.  Things like:
--adding a bookmark
--moving cursor to search box or other windows (like an alt-tab for the program itself)

Program window closes when a bookmark is selected
A useful option would be for the program window to close/minimize automatically after a bookmark is selected.
Option to get rid of the big folder title bar
Have an option to remove the big bar that shows the folder you are using.  In my opinion, it's distracting for users that are using the program in a very fast way and it's way bigger than the other elements in the program window.  WHen I am working quickly, my focus is on the list of bookmarks, not on the folder title.
minimize/close to tray
Have an option to minimize and/or close the program to the tray.  Most likely, we will always want the program running, so there should be the option to always have it go to the tray when minimize or close is clicked.  That way, to exit the program, the user must actually exit the program from the menu.  I think right now it automatically closes to the tray, but I don't see an actual option for this.
Firefox (and other browsers) buttons
Powermarks had three buttons:
--One to open the main program window
--One to add a bookmark (where the fields and tags were automatically filled)
--Another to SILENTLY add a bookmark, meaning the user doesn't review the link and the tag.  You just click the button once and the bookmark is in the list immediately.  You don't confirm or anything.

It would be nice to have these options in Power Favorites.

Options on how to open links in browser
At least for Firefox, there should be these options:
--Open the link in the current tab
--Open the link in a new tab
--open the link in a new window

Everyone works differently here, so the options are pretty necessaary, in my opinion.  I personally like the bookmark to open in the current tab.  That way, I don't have a new tab or window opening every time I use a bookmark because that will me way too many tabs and windows after an hour or so.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:46 PM by superboyac »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2008, 07:39 AM »
Link commander might have been a buy for me but it is not maintained anymore much that I can tell - at least my question in their ticketing system is unanswered 6 months later!

Now I went to the link commander site and updated my old question + submitted a new one, and both got an answer overnight - with huge apologies that somehow they had totally missed the old one. I was told that the new browsers will be supported in a new version coming early october, and that they also have added the bit I requested about knowing which links are on the opera personal toolbar.  If they do that this might be a buy for me.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2008, 05:45 PM »
Additionally, in Powermarks, if you pressed the down key from the search box, it would immediately go into the list and you could navigate to the desired bookmark.  This was good for quick keyboard navigation.  I always wished that if you pressed the UP key from the top item, it would go back to the search box, but it didn't.  This is where Power Favorites can improve on that feature.

My bad, this is already implemented in Power Favorites.  Nice!

thorazine74

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 09:39 AM »
Am I missing something or none of this programs support Firefox 3.0 new bookmarks storage architecture?
It seems they are using a different database system than the classical bookmarks.htm file of other mozillas.
I tried a few and none of them seemed to able to export to my Firefox 3.0, and when they import they are missing some of the bookmarks.
Is there any solution for keeping firefox 3.0 bookmarks synchronized? (locally across different browsers, not online)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Another Suggestion for Power Favorites:

Option to hide the left window showing the categories/tags.  Sometimes it slows down the program, and I simply wouldn't use it that much.  I hide that window in Powermarks.

Also, have an option to have the program revert to the last used folder or a default folder after a bookmark is chosen.  Or if the list is filtered down during the last search, there should be an option to come back to that state next time you open the window or have it reset to some default state.

markstone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Thanks for superboyac and all above, for your great suggestions and criticisms.  :Thmbsup:

I'm very happy to hear the voices of the really bookmark users. I know where I should go now. I will try my  best to release the new version soon. Hope to get your opinions again.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 02:06 PM »
Am I missing something or none of this programs support Firefox 3.0 new bookmarks storage architecture?

They switched from a simple HTML file to an SQLite database. For any developer who has not worked with databases before, this is going to be a hurdle, though thankfully SQLite is one of the simplest db engines. Still, you first need to research what you can use to operate on FF's database files; there are free bindings for most programming languages (typically talking to SQLite via a DLL, which may have some performance implications), as well as commercial solutions. For example, there's a very good one for Delphi that sells for 90 or 270 Euro, depending on whether you want full source code. So finding a way to talk to SQLite is another hurdle.

Then you have to figure out the schema of FF's "places" database, which is simple if you just want to pull out the URLs, but gets somewhat convoluted if you need to do more. For anyone interested, here's the schema of the places database. The nice thing about the db is that you can get not only bookmarks, but the entire FF history from the same db.

Many bookmark programs will catch up eventually, but it may take some time.

TexasT

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2008, 06:06 PM »
I've implemented the feature of importing bookmarks from Powermarks. The search speed is OK while testing with about 7,000 bookmarks.

A measly 7K bookmarks? Add another 40K and you'll come close to what I've got...

The Powermarks features I loved (yes, past tense, since it's dead now) were:
- Being able to color-code bookmarks, so I could easily tell which were the best sites for that particular search
- Being able to annotate the bookmarks separately from where the keywords were kept
- The different options for exporting selected bookmarks
- Being able to bookmark files on my hard drive
- Being able to keep separate bookmark files (i.e., one for URLs on the Web, another one for files on my hard drive, although sometimes I mixed them)
- Never having to worry about duplicate URLs, because if it was already there, PM would simply pop open the window to edit what was already there
- Automatic checking of pages at an interval chosen by me from the standard choices given
- The awesome, greased-lightning-fast search feature, which was letter by letter and could accomodate separate words (e.g., lib vid when looking for "library" and "video")

Lots more, but those are the main ones. A truly awesome program, and I wish someone would copy it or buy it and continue development.

TexasT - still in deep mourning  :'(  and frustrated at not finding anything that comes close

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00 PM »
Superboyac, I'm am also a long time user of Powermarks and ever since switching to Firefox 3, I have been looking for a way to overcome what we long time users of Powermarks are facing.

I've look long and hard and I thought I had found a solution with combination of TagSifter and HandyTag

TagSifter
"Firefox 3 lets you tag your bookmarks, but it doesn't give you a great way to browse your bookmarks by their tags. TagSifter tries to. Select a group of tags in the sidebar or menu, and TagSifter shows you all the related tags and bookmarks. Or search your bookmarks with set operators, like "tag1 - (tag2 + !tag3)". Comes with a tool to help tag your existing bookmarks as you move to Firefox 3."
https://addons.mozil...agsifter&cat=all

Handytag
Search Add-ons :: Firefox Add-ons
"HandyTag simply providing a complete set of most relevant keywords in the bookmark's edition panel. These keywords are retrieved from many different sources."
https://addons.mozil...handytag&cat=all

BUT, I keep thinking that a lot of the convenience I was experiencing with Powermarks was still missing.

Besides, I have not figured out how to backup all these Tags I'm entering into Firefox.

But guess what, I think I have hit upon a solution - with just a couple of small steps missing.

This is what I'm doing :

You will need to have a few things to accomplish this.

1. Powermarks
2. Firefox 3
3. Turnon Global HotKeys - enable you to hit the hot key to bring Powermarks to the foreground
Make sure you assign an unused key combination to     "Add Bookmark from Clipboard" such as Alt+Shift+P

Chapter 8 - Powermarks User Guide
"    8.1.7 Hotkeys

Switch to Powermarks
        Display the Powermarks window
    Add Bookmark to Browser
        Add the current browser URL to the Powermarks bookmark list and allow for editing.
    Fast Add Bookmark from Browser
        Adds the URL currently in the Browser to the Powermarks bookmark list.
    Add Bookmark from Clipboard
        Searches the clipboard for a URL and adds it the Powermarks bookmark list. Powermarks will attempt to contact the site and retrieve the name, keywords and description of the new bookmark. "
http://www.kaylon.co...ter_8.htm#SystemTray

4. Chapter 8 - Powermarks User Guide
"8.1.12 Browsers"
http://www.kaylon.co...apter_8.htm#browsers

If you look at your actual Option Screen in your Powermarks program, you will see an additional line item - Firefox which is not shown in the online Powermarks User Guide.

Make sure you tell Powermarks where to find Firefox 3.

Your are almost all set for a test run now.

5. Using Firefox, do you usual surfing on the web.

Let's say you are at

https://addons.mozil...handytag&cat=all

And you want this url plus whatever keywords to be captured in Powermarks.

(Note: Do make sure Powermarks is loaded and it could also be minimized in the backgroud)

a. Press Crtl+L - this highlights the URL bar in Firefox 3 (Note that Alt+D also works in same way)
b. Press Crtl+C - this places https://addons.mozil...handytag&cat=all into the clipboard.
c. Press Shift+Alt+P - this executes "Add Bookmark from Clipboard" which you configured in Step 3 above such as Alt+Shift+P

Step 5c tells Powermarks to store retrieve https://addons.mozil...handytag&cat=all into the database together with the associated keywords.
And all this time, Powermarks remain in the background until you invoke it with say Crtl+Alt+P Hotkey you assigned (See 8.1.7 Hotkeys  in Chapter 8 - Powermarks User Guide)

Presto - you are done - back in business with Powermarks. Clicking on a url in Powermarks would launch the url in a new tab (if you set the options correctly) in Firefox (if it had been set as the default browser.)

Now of course Steps 5.a, 5.b and 5.c can all be combined as a single command if someone can write a Autohotkey script and compile it into and exe and attach it to a Button on Firefox - This part I have not figured out as yet - but it certainly can be done. Once the script has been written and compiled, it could possibly be launched by
"Launch External Windows Applications Directly From Firefox
http://www.inspiredg...rectly-from-firefox/

But take note that "Launch External Windows Applications Directly From Firefox" does not seem to operate properly with Firefox 3. [See How to add a Button (to execute a AutoHotkey script or an exe) to Firefox 3 - DonationCoder.com
"I would like to execute a particular command from within Firefox 3.
This could be calling a AutoHotkey script or the same script compiled into a DoThis.exe"]
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=14850.0

Perhaps someone with Greasemonkey script (if that is the thing to use) could figure this out.

Take note that "Alt+Ins Add URL from clipboard" does not quite work - It would have completed the picture for people like us.
Chapter 10 - Powermarks User Guide
"Alt+Ins    Add URL from clipboard"
http://www.kaylon.co..._10.htm#ShortcutKeys

Do tell me what do you think - no more worries that Firefox 4, 5, or 6 would break it !!!

Yes no doubt it is not as convenient right now, but it works !!!

Anyone would like to craft a Autohotkey script for us poor Powermarkers and figure out how to use "Launch External Windows Applications Directly From Firefox"

I mentioned a while back that the ""Launch External Windows Applications Directly From Firefox" does not seem to operate properly with Firefox 3."

Well, I just discovered that the Firefox Add-On extension IE Tab has an option that allows you to launch an External Application.

It works when you Crtl+Click the IE Tab BUTTON.

This could be used to launch a compiled Autohotkey script such as the one written by Twinkler.

So this could be THE solution for the clickable button solution that I was looking for.

When I can find sometime to work this out, I'll post again.

But of course whoever wants to beat me to this is most welcomed.

I suspect there may be other Add-ons that has a hidden option to launch an external program that we are not aware of.

That it happened to be part of the IE Tab Add-on is just a conincidence.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2008, 12:51 PM »
Thanks Patteo, your info here so far has been great.