ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.

<< < (9/42) > >>

superboyac:
OK, here are my suggestions so far for Power Favorites.  If these things are implemented, I think there's no reason for current Powermarks users to not want to use Power Favorites.  Personally, I think Power Favorites is almost there, and I think my suggestions are pretty minor and shouldn't be that difficult to implement.  But I'm not a programmer, it's just my feeling.
Of course, these comments are also applicable to any other bookmark manager, including Linkman.  Essentially, there's are a few of the things that made us love Powermarks so much.

ESC key clears search
ESC key should clear the search box.  Additionally, in Powermarks, if you pressed the down key from the search box, it would immediately go into the list and you could navigate to the desired bookmark.  This was good for quick keyboard navigation.  I always wished that if you pressed the UP key from the top item, it would go back to the search box, but it didn't.  This is where Power Favorites can improve on that feature.
More keyboard shortcuts
There's a keyboard shortcut for opening the main window, but a lot of users would really appreciate keyboard shortcuts for all of the significant program functions.  Things like:
--adding a bookmark
--moving cursor to search box or other windows (like an alt-tab for the program itself)
Program window closes when a bookmark is selected
A useful option would be for the program window to close/minimize automatically after a bookmark is selected.
Option to get rid of the big folder title bar
Have an option to remove the big bar that shows the folder you are using.  In my opinion, it's distracting for users that are using the program in a very fast way and it's way bigger than the other elements in the program window.  WHen I am working quickly, my focus is on the list of bookmarks, not on the folder title.
minimize/close to tray
Have an option to minimize and/or close the program to the tray.  Most likely, we will always want the program running, so there should be the option to always have it go to the tray when minimize or close is clicked.  That way, to exit the program, the user must actually exit the program from the menu.  I think right now it automatically closes to the tray, but I don't see an actual option for this.
Firefox (and other browsers) buttons
Powermarks had three buttons:
--One to open the main program window
--One to add a bookmark (where the fields and tags were automatically filled)
--Another to SILENTLY add a bookmark, meaning the user doesn't review the link and the tag.  You just click the button once and the bookmark is in the list immediately.  You don't confirm or anything.

It would be nice to have these options in Power Favorites.
Options on how to open links in browser
At least for Firefox, there should be these options:
--Open the link in the current tab
--Open the link in a new tab
--open the link in a new window

Everyone works differently here, so the options are pretty necessaary, in my opinion.  I personally like the bookmark to open in the current tab.  That way, I don't have a new tab or window opening every time I use a bookmark because that will me way too many tabs and windows after an hour or so.

iphigenie:
Link commander might have been a buy for me but it is not maintained anymore much that I can tell - at least my question in their ticketing system is unanswered 6 months later!
-iphigenie (September 18, 2008, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now I went to the link commander site and updated my old question + submitted a new one, and both got an answer overnight - with huge apologies that somehow they had totally missed the old one. I was told that the new browsers will be supported in a new version coming early october, and that they also have added the bit I requested about knowing which links are on the opera personal toolbar.  If they do that this might be a buy for me.

superboyac:
Additionally, in Powermarks, if you pressed the down key from the search box, it would immediately go into the list and you could navigate to the desired bookmark.  This was good for quick keyboard navigation.  I always wished that if you pressed the UP key from the top item, it would go back to the search box, but it didn't.  This is where Power Favorites can improve on that feature.
--- End quote ---

My bad, this is already implemented in Power Favorites.  Nice!

thorazine74:
Am I missing something or none of this programs support Firefox 3.0 new bookmarks storage architecture?
It seems they are using a different database system than the classical bookmarks.htm file of other mozillas.
I tried a few and none of them seemed to able to export to my Firefox 3.0, and when they import they are missing some of the bookmarks.
Is there any solution for keeping firefox 3.0 bookmarks synchronized? (locally across different browsers, not online)

superboyac:
Another Suggestion for Power Favorites:

Option to hide the left window showing the categories/tags.  Sometimes it slows down the program, and I simply wouldn't use it that much.  I hide that window in Powermarks.

Also, have an option to have the program revert to the last used folder or a default folder after a bookmark is chosen.  Or if the list is filtered down during the last search, there should be an option to come back to that state next time you open the window or have it reset to some default state.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version