ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.

<< < (7/42) > >>

iphigenie:
Different people have different needs but what I am looking for is something that makes it easy to manage my bookmarks in one place then deploy to all browsers I might have, and possibly to online tool that support the exchange format:

- speedy management of bookmarks, especially moving/deleting, since i do that quite a bit
- fast search
- can add keywords/tags
- can grab bookmarks from browser(s), at the minimum from the active window, but if possible be tab aware and able to grab more. Alternatively a drop target
- gets basic information from website when available, i.e. keywords/description
- can open bookmark in browser (or has a browser internally)

tools to
- import/export/sync with bookmarks for: ie, firefox and other mozilla based browsers (eg kmeleon and flock, same filename but multiple locations), opera, safari, chrome etc. (note: all tools I have tried seem to lose opera's 'show on user bar' flag)
- find duplicates
- check bookmarks and mark any broken ones

Some tools have sexy extras like taking a screenshot etc.

In my recent tests my favorites were linkman (mostly due to the little resident search bar which I used a lot more than I would have thought - i am confused by the 2 pane system they use) and link commander (mostly the grabbing links, and a very clean and simple management interface)

Link commander might have been a buy for me but it is not maintained anymore much that I can tell - at least my question in their ticketing system is unanswered 6 months later!

twinkler:
Hi Marc, nice to see you here.

Power Favorites, as you present it on your website, looks like a great program. I didn't try it out because I was looking for a program that can import my 4000 bookmarks from Powermarks, and it doesn't seem that yours can. (Although I have the programming skills to convert a Powermarks file to whatever the Power Favorites file format is, most people don't.)

As mentioned above, both miTaggedMarks and Netvouz can do this.

It's not clear to me from your site if your search facility is find-as-you-type; i.e. do the search results narrow with each letter I type into the search box, or do I have to type in a whole word and click that binoculars button? If the latter, I would consider that a major deficit and would encourage you to change that.

I agree with superboyac and patteo that Powermarks is about as close to perfect as programs get. In my opinion, anybody who can replicate or add to its features, while maintaining its simplicity and enabling importing of existing Powermarks bookmarks, would be doing a great thing.

superboyac:
I am the developer of Power Favorites. Twinkler mentioned my program in this post :Thmbsup:.  although the comment is not very positive  :-\. I'd like to know what features you all need most for managing bookmarks, I will try my best to follow your wisdom.

Thanks.
-markstone (September 18, 2008, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the comment!  I haven't tried your program, but if you ask my input, I will say this much:  if you can make your program work just like PowerMarks, I will be ecstatic!

Personally what I'm looking for is this:
--If I want to go to a site, I click a button to open the program (or hotkey, whatever).  I see a big list of all my bookmarks in a compact form (I don't need the bookmarks taking up a lot of space, again, just look at Powermarks).
--I'd like my most visited sites to be at the top of the list (like Powermarks) so you're program needs to be able to track that information.  Usually I will just click on that bookmark at the top somewhere and go there.  That's it, I'm done.  See how simple that is?

--Now, in the case where I have to spend a little time finding a more obscure bookmark, I want it to be as fast as possible.  In Powermarks, there was a search box up top that was find-as-you-type (see my review here).  So I'll usually find what I'm looking for in a matter of a couple seconds.  No organization, no tree, nothing.  Just an address and a bunch of keywords and/or descriptions.

--When adding a bookmark, I'd like it to be as easy and fast as possible.  Click a button, and the url and keywords should be automatically generated and added to my list.  That's it.  Shouldn't even take a second in most cases.

That's how I use bookmarks and that's why I think PowerMarks was so great.  You just click and go.  I don't relate to people who need to organize bookmarks like crazy with trees and such (I'm not criticizing, I just don't relate).  I just want to click and go.  Mindlessly.

markstone:
Thanks above all to your comments. It's my honor if you'd like to get a free copy of Power Favorites to evaluate. My email is [email protected]. Any suggestion is welcome.

I've implemented the feature of importing bookmarks from Powermarks. The search speed is OK while testing with about 7,000 bookmarks.

TucknDar:
Power Favorites certainly shows some potential, although like superboyac I'd like to see it work just like PowerMarks ;) Especially the quick add bookmark (no questions asked) is very useful.

Also, one thing quite annoyed me: Even though the setting Run at startup was unticked, it started with Windows for All Users!  :down: I'm running XP Home sp2 if that matters.

Edit: One more thing, what is the "Install Opera Addon" supposed to do? I tried it, but I don't notice anything different. Is it supposed to install a menu entry? Btw, I tried installing it both with Opera running and after closing it, so that's tried and tested.

Another thing, the help file is very limited. Doesn't even say the right name of the product and there's no search function. :huh:

Oh, and only copyrighted to 2005?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version