topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: [FIXED TOPIC] TrackMania Nations Forever - Free, fun, and totally awesome!  (Read 37814 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alright, I figured I should get the DC Gamers Club back up and doing stuff again because the Sauerbraten server is still offline.

TrackMania is an arcade racing game that allows players to build and play on their own tracks, or the pre-built ones in a single player mode. Deozaan and I have been racing each other on my tracks for a month or so now, and it can get really exciting and fun. The Nations Forever (free) version gives you one car (F1), one environment (stadium), and a set of building tools. The game's multiplayer is "where it's at". Think your up to it? Think again. :)

I currently have 26 tracks, 3 are made by friends - they range from quick 13 second acceleration challenges to downhill handling thrills, to loop-the-loops at 800MPH (yes, 800MPH!!), to pick-and-choose checkpoint races, to what you would never expect to be thought of as a race track. And I build more every day. All my tracks have anti-cheat layouts within them, so don't try ;)

I host both LAN (Hamachi) and Online (full internet) servers, usually late night USA West Coast time (-7GMT, no DST). I am always on Xfire and Pidgin if you want to race. Take warning though, while it is always MARGINAL (yes MARGINAL), Deozaan almost always beats me. You really don't wanna make him mad during a match ;D (unless you like seeing nothing but a smoke plume and your rank dropping to rock-bottom)

There is a screenshot attached that lists all the tracks I have - along with a small image overview of the track. The images do NOT do the tracks justice, but it gives you some idea to the layout and how each one flows. It also has the best time I have gotten on the tracks (most of them I don't really try to get good times on anymore because I only do multiplayer, and it doesn't "count" towards the best time unless you in Solo mode).

Still think your up to it? :lol: Read about it at http://www.trackmania.com/ or get it now at http://www.gamershel...download_24766.shtml

-Brandon

(The other topic just kind of broke... so I am working on getting it deleted and am uploading the image now)

EDIT: Ok, I uploaded it to MazeCraze's server instead - view the list here: http://mazecraze.dci...ckManiaTrackList.png
EDIT 2: Link dead, crossed out
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:23 AM by wreckedcarzz »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh man, putting all those freewheelin' panels in "Drag Gone Wrong" is being seriously, seriously evil. I might drop myself tonight or maybe tomorrow, now that I have some free time.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
I saw this on another forum.
Went to the originating website, but I recall it was down!

Thanks for the links and the re-recommendations! I intended to revisit the site, but forgot all about it!
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lashiec, those aren't "Freewheeling" boosters, although that would be kind of evil (muhahahaha) - they are the Multiplication boosters (the ones that go 100%/150%/200% boost). They are just in red color, it goes red/purple/orange I think. Good idea though, however TM doesn't have up/downhill Freewheeling blocks.
(It is named that way because if you are able to keep it on the track to get to that part, you fly out of the world itself via the boosters ;D)

jammo - it is definitely worth a try, and the replay value is amazing. And even if your on a mobile system w/o internet, you can still play offline. Well thought out system.

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
haha, definitely deserving of my *woot*woot*
LOVING IT!
I was up till 4am playing solo. hahaha, wifey actually had to come and make me go to bed!  :o
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I played solo and cleared a bunch of the medals. I think I had gold medals on all tracks for the first and second difficulties, and mostly gold in the third. Then I installed it on my better computer (which was out of service at the time) and found out that even though you have to log in to your account to play, it doesn't keep track of the medals you've earned.

So now I'm at the bottom of the list again.  :down: :down: :down:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had the same issue - that's why they make flash drives, Copy & Paste functions... etc. ;)

Just grab your entire TrackMania folder from Documents and plop it on the new PC. It should bring over all your config data and whatnot.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All my tracks have anti-cheat layouts within them, so don't try ;)
-wreckedcarzz (June 19, 2008, 03:42 AM)

I'm the reason why this is even mentioned. :) I try to find any way to cut the time, including jumping off the track and skipping entire sections of the race. I wouldn't call it cheating; I'd call it poor track design. And you can bet I'll keep trying to exploit shortcuts I find. But at least I report them so wreckedcarzz can fix them if he wants to.

I guess that makes me a white hat racer.  8)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had the same issue - that's why they make flash drives, Copy & Paste functions... etc. ;)

Just grab your entire TrackMania folder from Documents and plop it on the new PC. It should bring over all your config data and whatnot.
-wreckedcarzz (June 20, 2008, 04:23 PM)

I copied over my profile directory but that didn't seem to do it. I'll try the entire Trackmania directory and see how that goes... Once I get my new hard drive in. Sadly my "better" computer is out of commission again to prevent data loss.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All my tracks have anti-cheat layouts within them, so don't try ;)
-wreckedcarzz (June 19, 2008, 03:42 AM)
I wouldn't call it cheating; I'd call it poor track design.
:o :( ;D I'll admit a few tracks may ... suck :P
But only Deozaan can cheat! No one else ;D *points at mouser* :o

Sadly my "better" computer is out of commission again to prevent data loss.
You have a lot of weird problems with that computer...

(By the way, your "use the ramp to fly off the side" on one of those new tracks will now fail, your car will meet a nice little pool of water...:lol:)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sadly my "better" computer is out of commission again to prevent data loss.
You have a lot of weird problems with that computer...
-wreckedcarzz (June 20, 2008, 04:30 PM)
The hard drive started clicking, and the replacement that came last week was DOA. :(

(By the way, your "use the ramp to fly off the side" on one of those new tracks will now fail, your car will meet a nice little pool of water...:lol:)
-wreckedcarzz (June 20, 2008, 04:30 PM)
I'll be the judge of that!  :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love this game, but i just want to warn you about something: Recently, i've been having bandwidth problems (going over the ISP established limit). From what i understand, this is related to trackmania.
Potentially, this happens because i had p2p on, although i think it is stupid for TM to use bandwith even when playing single player (which is what i've been doing).

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Recently, i've been having bandwidth problems (going over the ISP established limit).

ISPs: It's the 21st century, get your act together and stop limiting people's bandwidth on a monthly basis >:(

Potentially, this happens because i had p2p on, although i think it is stupid for TM to use bandwith even when playing single player (which is what i've been doing).

Not really, the game has to contact the central servers to update your medal counter and compare it against other people's results, obtaining the ranking which you can see above the race selection menu. It must been using a tiny amount of bandwidth, but it's being used.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not really, the game has to contact the central servers to update your medal counter and compare it against other people's results, obtaining the ranking which you can see above the race selection menu. It must been using a tiny amount of bandwidth, but it's being used.
Ok, that would make sense.. But either that list is REALLY big, or they are downloading a HD movie displaying a bright medal spining, because that wouldn't account for 300MB of bandwidth after a few hours of single player gaming :P

Actually, after further investigation, i have found out that the p2p network is used for distributing the avatars, the custom paints and cars, etc etc.. Thus, it is as active when your playing the single player game as when you're playing the real game. Nevertheless, i think it should have a warning somewhere.

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
**OFF**TOPIC**
@jgpaiva
I just noticed that you have a link to GridMove in your siggie ... I LOVE GRIDMOVE! I just re-built my PC and upgraded from a 15"CRT to a 22"LCD.
GridMove + FARR = BLISS!!!

X_____jamjammo_____

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
I just noticed that you have a link to GridMove in your siggie

he should, he wrote it.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
:D It's always great to hear good things about gridmove!!
(even though i think it's unfair to compare it to the perfectness of farr :P)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bump! I haven't played TM in a little while, and Sauerbraten map editing has become somewhat of a snore to me. Anyone feel like a race sometime soon? I guarantee you I have a track that you'll like (30 so far!!) :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You should ask me sometime on Xfire. I'm up for a bit of racing sometime soon. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Trackmania for the Nintendo DS is coming along nicely!

In fact, I daresay it looks almost as good as it does on the PC, if you take into consideration the small screen!

See a video of the gamplay here: Trackmania DS on Joystiq.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am still at it with my tracks, and I am figuring out the MediaTracker as well! The first track to feature it will be Carnival Ride, a track in the making since mid June (another one of my maze type tracks, the name suits it well).

I have 32 tracks so far I believe, with a few not validated (not ready). I plan on updating all the tracks with new items soon, as well as creating a large combination of several of the tracks.

I am hosting a TM server RIGHT NOW online if anyone wants to jump on and see some new tracks. :)

EDIT: Stopped hosting @ 2:44PM
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:44 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's the MediaTracker?

Sorry I couldn't play earlier, my internet was unexpectedly shut off. :-(

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The MediaTracker is the replay tool used to make those cool videos before races, effects during races, and videos after races. It is more commonly used in the paid versions of Trackmania, but still very cool.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BUMPAGE!

50 complete tracks and counting (approx 8 are friend's/collaboration tracks), with a few more being made now.

Seriously, if you haven't given TM a shot yet, now is the time - I have a track for ANY type of racing:

• Simple, quick tracks
  • Medium, intermediate tracks
  • Long, confusing, annoying tracks
  • Road/dirt combo tracks
  • Dirt only tracks
  • Rally tracks
  • Road/air tracks
  • Stunt tracks
  • Acrobatic tracks
  • Challenge tracks
  • Maze tracks
  • Choice tracks
  • Drift tracks
  • Drag tracks
  • Circuit tracks
  • Insane-speed-so-fast-the-camera-shakes-away-from-the-car speed tracks
  • And more...

Some tracks have custom signs, MediaTracker functionality, and several have near-impossible to beat ghost cars: "Mixed Reactions", anyone? (I was beating that ghost, and I HIT THE TOP OF THE FINISH LINE!!! 2 seconds ahead, gone in .15 seconds. :'(

You know you want to try... :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After your recommendation I did download it and find it a more than enjoyable racing experience. You sure as h.ll can lose a lot(!) of time over racing a track that should take not more than a minute to finish...at least the computer is able to do so ;-)

It truly is something different to have to race a curvy track with a 90 degree angle.....

@wreckedcarzz:
Where can I find your tracks?