ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

did the latest update (2.10.01) affect file associations?

(1/4) > >>

cedardoc:
I could have sworn that before this update, when I clicked a link to a text file from a FARR list, it would open in Ted Notepad (that's what I have the default application set as for txt files), but today they're opening in notepad.exe.

Any suggestions?

DP

mouser:
farr does not change any file associations.

HOWEVER -- i did change slightly the way far tells the system to open files.. and it may be that this method is not obeying some "open with" preferences that it used to?  does anyone have any further cases of this or insight?

For what it's worth, my txt files still open in UltraEdit, my system-configured text file opening editor (rather than notepad).

[for the technically minded, i changed from ShellExecute to ShellExecuteEx, AND i added code to find the document class in the registry before invoking the "open" verb.  i suspect it is this document class lookup that is causing the change in behavior, though i'm not sure why.  the change was done to fix the problem some people were having with some documents not opening at all, and it seems to have solved that problem for them, but now it seems to have caused a strange change in behavior for others].

cedardoc:
There's definitely something different - its opening spreadsheets in open office when I have it set for excel

mouser:
this is very interesting.. as if you have two separate sets of file associations..

i could certainly put an option to toggle between old and new method of launching, but i'd love to know why it's doing what it's doing.

let's try this -- attached is the older version of my document launcher helper that farr uses to try to be smart and fast about opening documents.  replace your current one with this and see if it makes it behave as before (no need to restart farr).

TucknDar:
Maybe I'm on thin ice here, but sounds a bit like file associations may be read from a specific part of the registry, namely HKCR (aka HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\) while it's also possible to have user-specific (or per-user if you will) file associations in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\

Look at this post I made not so long ago: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=13573.0

edit: The latter registry, HKCU\Software\Classes normally takes precedence (sp?) over HKLM\Software\Classes, but maybe FARR goes directly to HKLM?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version