ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for help identifying hidden domain owner...

(1/4) > >>

seedling:
I'm having a problem with a particular site blatently using our company name and published content without our permission to promote web-sales for themselves.  I've looked up the general domain whois sites and found that this person (or persons) is hiding behind a seemingly well-known (based on all the google hits I got) service or company called Domain Discreet.  So finding the actual owner of this site has been a challenge.  All phone numbers on the site go to a recorded message that states 'someone will get back to you'.

Has anyone here ever have to deal with this?

If so, I'd really like some advise on how to get more information about the owners of this particular domain.

Thanks In Advance :)

Ehtyar:
What you're describing sounds like a registrar front. Most private registrars put their own information in the whois of any domain they are currently the registrar of, and you have to contact the registrar themselves in order to get the personal information of the actual domain owner.

Hope this helps, Ehtyar.

PhilB66:
Did you try to ping the Website and get the IP where it is hosted?

seedling:
What you're describing sounds like a registrar front. Most private registrars put their own information in the whois of any domain they are currently the registrar of, and you have to contact the registrar themselves in order to get the personal information of the actual domain owner.

Hope this helps, Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (June 17, 2008, 11:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I figured, but it looks like a completely fake front

Did you try to ping the Website and get the IP where it is hosted?-PhilB66
--- End quote ---

I have the IP and information of that host, but I have yet to contact them to find out any more info.

The main thing I'd like to avoid is spooking the people into obscurity.  I'd rather 'catch them in the act'.  That's why I was hoping to find some other way to find info about who these people are.

PhilB66:
DomainDiscreet.com is a service offered by Register.com.

Details @ http://www.register.com/policy/servicesagreement.rcmx (Item 6 in the table of contents)

More about this service @ http://help.register.com/cgi-bin/register_help.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2052

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version