ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Accessing the contents of another computer's hard drive

<< < (4/5) > >>

Armando:

Explorer, tools->folder options, "view" tab, scroll to bottom: "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)", untick. And then you need to manually configure shares, add user accounts and permissions etc., but it's the proper way to do things.

(Sharing whole drives is bad, mmkay?)
-f0dder (June 19, 2008, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is that supposed to work with XP Home too?

f0dder:
Is that supposed to work with XP Home too?
-Armando (June 24, 2008, 11:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, bummer, I keep forgetting about XP home - does that only support simple file sharing? In that case, you're probably best off setting up some ftp server, really - gives better speed than SMB/CIFS anyway.

Armando:
Thanks f0dder. I'll keep that in mind.

nite_monkey:
So if both computers are on the same network in the same house, and the computer you want to access has windows xp on it,

why can't you just open my computer, right click on the c drive, click sharing and security, and then share it, and check the box beside "allow network users to change my files"

Doesn't need a password if you have simple sharing on, and sure it isn't a good idea to do that security wise, but hey, you have had your current setup for a while now and haven't had a problems with people breaking into your network have you? So how is it different just because you are sharing your entire c drive?

I may be missing something here, but that is what I would do.

wreckedcarzz:
That's exactly what I ended up doing nite_monkey

Although I ended up adding a password and just telling Vista to remember it because I am lazy :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version