ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Accessing the contents of another computer's hard drive

<< < (3/5) > >>

Jimdoria:
Sharing whole hard drives may be a bad idea, but it's the default in many versions of windows.

Browse to \\machinename\c$ on any machine where you have an admin account. Enter your admin username and password if prompted. Helllooo C drive!

Basically, any machine on which you are an admin is an open book, either at the keyboard or across the network. I don't recall having to disable simple file sharing to do this, either.

f0dder:
Sharing whole hard drives may be a bad idea, but it's the default in many versions of windows.

Browse to \\machinename\c$ on any machine where you have an admin account. Enter your admin username and password if prompted. Helllooo C drive!

Basically, any machine on which you are an admin is an open book, either at the keyboard or across the network. I don't recall having to disable simple file sharing to do this, either.
-Jimdoria (June 19, 2008, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yup (I already linked to info on admin shares), and I do believe this is a very bad default - but iirc you can only connect to the shares with administrator+password (or is it "member of administrator group"?) - that makes it slightly less severe than manually sharing the root of a drive.

I always disable administrative shares as part of my unattended setup :)

Deozaan:
#1 - WEP can be bruteforced within minutes, especially if you sniff some traffic first. Might not be a concern where you live, but keep it in mind.
-f0dder (June 19, 2008, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

So I have a conundrum:

My Nintendo DS can only handle WEP "security." It's either unsecured or it's "WEP-secure." I know WEP is easy to crack/bruteforce, but I don't really have much choice if I want to keep my neighbors off and still get my DS connected.

Although someone did suggest to me that I leave it open and use MAC filtering to throttle their bandwidth to speeds even Laggy the Snail could outpace.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

f0dder:
MAC filtering isn't much of a hindrance - sniff traffic, clone MAC, *b00m* defeated.

wreckedcarzz:
Packet sniffing isn't that difficult either - a simple google search turns up 10+ programs (I have used 2 or 3 myself on my elementary school wireless network to try and get access, (failing in the long run)) and I would imagine someone with adequate skills would be able to hack the wireless "security", but in my experiences that isn't an issue. But if you live in an apartment/other complex, it might be if you have some tech-savvy users nearby...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version