ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 3 Released

<< < (18/21) > >>

Curt:
- yes, that would be necessary, because if installed the normal way, 3 will update 2

I just tried this and ran FF3 for less than half an hour, before I removed it again. I was annoyed that too many addons were deactivated, more than half of them, but I tried it long enough to realize that I am looking very much forward to install it again, when it is ready for me.

cmpm:
The add on's are better in quality for FF3.
Perhaps the name of the add on is not upgraded.
But there will be one similar and better in most cases.
This has been my experience so far.

patteo:
still havnt installed this

Anyone know ...
I'm wondering if I have versions 2 & 3 installed separately could one run both simultaneously ?
I suspect not, normally FF only allows one instance (unfortunately)
-tomos (July 04, 2008, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

You could run both simultaneously:
You of course need to install FF3 to another directory and also create a separate profile.

I recommend that keep FF2 as your default as otherwise, when another programs calls for a browser, FF3 would load instead and check for compatability of add-ons  that you have been using for FF2 which can be a pain in the neck.
http://blog.codefront.net/2007/08/20/how-to-have-firefox-3-and-firefox-2-running-at-the-same-time/

And of course backup your default profiles etc before you begin.

If you are still not sure, better use one of the tools like Sandbox instead.

The only tricky part I have not figured out yet is when I'm ready dump FF2, how do I do it properly- possibly reinstall FF3 again, but this time with the default settings.

A word of caution when using tools like Nightly Tester to force compatibility for add-ons.
I had an instance when an incompatible add-on caused instability for FF3.

Also, go easy when walking the table spread of Add-ons - like doing it progressively, one at a time, use it for a while and see if everything is fine before you add the next one.

It's so tempting as you go through the gigantic list of those available and add 5 or 6 at one go.

My FF3 had a case of indigestion and another round of instability even for those which are already compatible and it becomes hard to identify which one is the culprit when you add more than one at once.

So I have learnt my lesson - slow and steady.

Ehtyar:
As mentioned earlier in this thread, the portable version can be run whilst a fully installed version is in use.

Ehtyar.

tomos:
thanks all
esp patteo &
Ehtyar, - I had missed that earlier
:)
As mentioned earlier in this thread, the portable version can be run whilst a fully installed version is in use.
-Ehtyar (July 04, 2008, 09:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version