Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 30, 2014, 11:22:13 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 3 Released  (Read 30401 times)
icekin
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 17, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »

The Mozilla page does still links to the RC, but I can get it off Filehippo.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:21:15 AM »

I got the link from SpreadFirefox.com, to download directly from mozilla:
http://download.mozilla.o...amp;os=win&lang=en-US

Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:29:45 AM »

I just installed the FileHippo version and it's RC3... will try jgpaiva's link!

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »

Officially, it gets released in less than 2 hours and a half... although I suspect I won't be able to get it until tomorrow (massive load in the servers :D)
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »

The one i posted says "firefox 3.0" on the about box.. Don't know if it's RC or not  huh It looks exactly like the RC, though smiley

icekin
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:33:14 AM »

I never used Firefox 3 before, never took part in the beta or even the RC. So, based on first impression, memory usage has actually been improved and its even below Opera 9.5 on my machine. However, Opera's speed completely beats this. I've tried clearing the cache and everything and tried loading a few different websites at a time. Opera wins by a clear margin. But, I recall that firefox becomes a little quicker with fasterfox and a few about:config tweaks. I'll try the comparisons again tomorrow with the tweaks.
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 09:34:05 AM »

Thanks, João - that worked  Thmbsup I compared the installers first and they *appear* to be identical (same size, version number, etc.) but the full release was installed...

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
icekin
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »

That's odd. I used the filehippo link and got version 3. Anyhow, from what I've read, there's no changes between RC3 and the final release for Windows machines. The only changes were for Mac OS.
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 09:48:47 AM »

I heard on another forum that on windows firefox 3RC3  is the final release. Don't have a source though. Ahh icekin cheesy

nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »

Guys, a heads-up. I've read about an infected RC3 floating around on the Internets, parading as the real thing. Just be careful about leaked versions.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 10:03:57 AM »

Guys, a heads-up. I've read about an infected RC3 floating around on the Internets, parading as the real thing. Just be careful about leaked versions.
Good thing i downloaded directly from mozilla smiley

yotta
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:23:43 AM »

well its only a few hours (2 from now) till official release, may aswell help them with the record
sri
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 10:35:29 AM »

228 users in #firefox IRC channel! Join the party there in the mean time.

fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »

It has just started and servers not working properly ohmy
Looks like too much teasing from Mozilla.

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 12:24:47 PM »

Anyone check the filesum hashes to compare RC3 to 3.0 Final?

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 12:38:42 PM »

As I said in the IRC channel, this is what firefox 1.0 should have been. This browser now has a plausible default theme, no need for another one in my opinion, it has the needed functionality to make it act like a browser should out of the box. The tagging functionality and history search via the address bar are genius and work beautifully especially for recently closed tabs. The memory usage is far less than its predecessors. I highly recommend this browser now. Yes, opera might have a small edge in speed compared to this, but its not enough to justify using it given opera's other weaknesses and limitations. Great job mozilla. I am now proud to say I am a firefox user.

Strength in Knowledge
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »

I'm sorry for the slight thread-hijack, but how can i change (more specifically, add to) the keyboard configuration?

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »

What do you mean? Like the key bindings? I.E., changing address field focus from ALT+D to CTRL+ALT+X if you desired? If so, keyconfig has to be updated to fit firefox 3. It currently does not work even if forced

Strength in Knowledge
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 01:42:46 PM »

Exactly, that's what i'm looking for. Ok, i'll wait, then Sad

Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »

w00t!1
Downloading now... (finally)

I've been using the firefox beta on Xubuntu 8.04 since it came out and have been very pleased with it. Now to shoehorn it into this box at work... 

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »

Whoa...

13kb/s on a 1G cable connection... stars

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 02:08:19 PM »

13kb/s on a 1G cable connection... stars
jgpaiva thanks icekin for the tip about firefox being online 2 hours before the release date smiley

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »

that's funny I lost a post,
I had no trouble downloading it from mozilla website about 1/2 hr ago

Are people simply installing it ontop of 2 or seperately ?
Separately seems better... undecided

Tom
CWuestefeld
Supporting Member

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »

I'm thinking the best strategy is to wait a couple of weeks for the situation with Extensions to settle down. What do you think?

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 04:49:13 PM »

From what i've noticed, there are quite a few major extensions that still haven't been updated Sad
The browser is great, though (even though i hate how it acts when it gets to a page who's certificate has expired)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.052s | Server load: 0.18 ]