ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 3 Released

<< < (11/21) > >>

Lashiec:
Default skin ugly? Icons might not be all that pretty, but I like how simple & clean it is, how little "real estate" is wasted on useless graphics.
-f0dder (June 18, 2008, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can make a nice skin, with pretty icons, while keeping it simple and clean. And wasting less space in the process, that big-assed back button is getting on my nerves. "Our usability tests show that 50% of the people miss the back button, so we made it BIGGER". So, Mozilla, can you explain why the Linux skin keeps the default size, and no keyhole design, hmm?

I think they made a bad choice with the integration path, because I feel the skins are not integrated at all, and wasted tons of time with them (and money, with the IconFactory contract), while a simple tour of the addons page shows themes that fit much better with Vista and Mac OS X. The Linux skin, while I think it's the better by a long shot (when it comes to integration and default looks), it's clearly Gnome-based, and of no much use for KDE-based distros. Anyway, all distros customize Firefox looks, so... And for XP, I think I found a quite decent theme, so let's move on :-)

As for speed, seems like FF3 install by default turns off HTTP pipelining even if it was enabled in FF2 - turning it back on helps increase page load speed.

--- End quote ---

Aha, thanks for the tip.

maybe we should post firefox 3 reviews we find:
http://cybernetnews.com/2008/06/18/cybernotes-firefox-3-review/ - they like it a lot
-mouser (June 18, 2008, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Some of the commenters, though, prefer trolling >:(

Does anybody know the technical details behind the automatic check for malware and phishing sites? In Firefox 2, you could opt for an automatically downloaded database, or Google assistance, but I ignore how it works now. Also, I have some connection problems with Windows Live Mail that make the page revert to the basic view (I bet it's a Microsoft problem), and the function to show the cookies of the site you're in has a few display issues.

Apart from that, seems like a solid improvement, Yahoo! Mail works significantly faster (except when scrolling the list of mails, but I don't think it's a problem with Firefox), GMail significantly slower at first (w-e-i-r-d), and the rest seems OK (except for a minor issue in Firefox own addons page). I specially like the new scrolling tab bar, which makes much easier to move between lots of tabs (while in Firefox 2 it was nearly impossible), and the new bookmark system, nicely implemented (someone has to clone this :-P). And like João, I don't like the new way to manage outdated certificates.

Also, CAKE, everybody likes cake. From the comments:

Mozilla should send the world's biggest cake to the IE team when they finally release IE8 (they've got a year to prepare, so should be plenty of time).

They could even give the cake some varying levels of opacity, although the IE team might not be able to see it properly then.

--- End quote ---

Josh:
Exactly, that's what i'm looking for. Ok, i'll wait, then :(
-jgpaiva (June 17, 2008, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

http://mozilla.dorando.at/

This link contains a working keyconfig for FF3. You can change everything with this

Edvard:
I like it.  :Thmbsup:
Flashblock and DownThemAll are all I need for extensions.

Don't forget, if you downloaded it during Download Day, to pick up your certificate!

Edvard:
The Linux skin, while I think it's the better by a long shot (when it comes to integration and default looks), it's clearly Gnome-based, and of no much use for KDE-based distros.
--- End quote ---

Yes, VERY gnome-based. I agree, they should have done a KDE skin, or at least made a default theme that's as neutral as possible across all platforms.
I'd actually like to have the "keyhole" buttons in my Linux FF3, but I can't find a skin for it.
Any suggestions?

cmpm:
You can change the buttons without having to use a new theme.

http://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version