ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do incremental backup programs work?

<< < (2/5) > >>

jgpaiva:
I probably should have been more specific.
Well, the thing is: i'm now entering the last year of my masters. That means I'm going to be the whole year working on my masters thesis.
The theme will be "Backup Chunk - a backup system based on chunks". This corresponds to the "Block Level Incremental" that you mentioned, justice. What i meant with my first post was to know if any of the most known programs use the Block Level Incremental, as the people around here know more about these systems then i do :)

I've already looked at SyncBackSE, and it doesn't have the "block level incremental", but i don't know about the second part (is there a "backup browser" or not?).

jgpaiva:
You guys are incredible.. 3 replies while i was posting mine above :)

So, the general opinion would be that the best programs (that do have incremental) mount the files as a virtual disk, and don't have block level incremental?

tomos:
So, the general opinion would be that the best programs (that do have incremental) mount the files as a virtual disk, and don't have block level incremental?
-jgpaiva (June 17, 2008, 06:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

well, if a programme exists that does "block level incremental" backups I'd like to know about it & would most probably WANT it as well :D

mouser:
Whatever software you go with, make sure that you can recover multiple previous versions of older files -- not just the last backup.

And I recommend multiple backup solutions -- i like to use BOTH an incremental backup solution AND an occasional drive imaging.  If one fails, i have the other to fall back on.  And make sure you keep occasional backups online or outside of your house in case of a home disaster.

justice:
Jungle Disk + JD Plus does block level incremental backup  ;) http://www.jungledisk.com/plus.shtml for more info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version