topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Process Tamer affecting Internet connection?  (Read 5902 times)

Centauri27

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Process Tamer affecting Internet connection?
« on: October 31, 2005, 04:13 PM »
The following are just seat-of-the-pants observations right now...

I've been using PT for a while and I've noticed that when an app is tamed/untamed while it's downloading a large file,  the download speed appears to fluctuate up and down quite a bit. I use Net Meter and I can see  the download speed and consistency. A solid red band indicates a smooth download, while spiky lines shows d/l speeds going up and down. It's this latter that I usually see when P/T kicks in.

I know it's only circumstantial evidence so far. I have since disabled P/T and I haven't noticed any "spiky" downloads yet.

Has anyone else observed similar behaviour?

Mouser, can the process of jacking up/down an app's priority cause connection speeds to vary?

Many thanks.
Carl

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer affecting Internet connection?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 04:55 PM »
are you asking if changing an app's priority could change the internet connection speed of that individual app?
it's possible that it might i guess, if its a very cpu/bandwidth intensive download or upload..
it certainly shouldn't effect the internet connection of any other program - at least it shouldn't make it worse.

i use pt to tame website watcher all the time when it does tons of internet traffic.. never noticed anything unpleasent though i have no idea if it's slowing down the connection.