ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Jungle Disk Mini-Review: offsite data storage

<< < (7/9) > >>

cthorpe:
For anyone who hasn't purchased Jungle Disk yet and is thinking about it, we will be running a discount in August.  You will be able to purchase a license for $15.00 instead of $20.00.  We will also be giving away three copies in the August drawing.

tomos:
Couple of things:-

When you purchase Jungle Disk you simply use the password you created on purchase to "activate" the software
This may have been mentioned above somewhere but it took me a while to figure it out cause I purchased it early last week and only added the password today to activate it [- I had been looking for a regristration key :-[ ]

The Jungle Disk forum doesnt work properly (for me anyways) if Adblock Plus is activated in FF3 -
no reply, quote, PM, etc, buttons visible

tomos:
I forgot I had used Amazon payment to purchase JungleDisk - just in case you do the same it simply shows up as AMZN PMTS+reference number on your CC bill
-
first I was thinking OMG Amazon S3 is much more expensive than I thought (I only have 400MB or so uploaded yet) but it turns out the monthly bill for that was ... eh...
20(US)cents = 13 euro-cents = one happy camper :)

Change:
So I'm now looking to move my archived files off JungleDisk and onto something else and then see what the bill will be. Also looking at Dropbox for syncing, maybe its more seamless.
-justice (July 23, 2008, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why not use FolderShare? Unlimited space for free because it's not stored online. You don't have versions, but it works perfectly fine for syncing. Only downside, I believe, is that both computers need to be connected for the sync to work (until it's done syncing).

I was actually in the same boat as you and figured I needed several backup solutions if I didn't want to spend tons on online storage. I eventually settled for:
* JD for important files that can change often (email, documents, program settings, desktop etc.)
* Flickr for storing and sharing photos (unlimited)
* FolderShare for syncing
* Dropbox for sharing or when I need versioned files
* 2 portable harddisks which I will store in remote locations and sync every 6 months (to store my music collection, another copy of my photos just in case, installation files etc.)

justice:
To be honest Foldershare (when I last used it) would great but there were two things that prevented me from using it all the time: the tiny temporary files that get created before the file is synced over (double the files in the folder, come up in search results, can't remember why I really didn't like that though), and the fact that my work pc will never get the full info because i don't leave my home pc on during the day (which was a stumbling block). Maybe I should try it again

Dropbox however exceeds all my expectations, so I can't wait until there's more space available. I guess I need to look into a portable harddisk too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version