ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Jungle Disk Mini-Review: offsite data storage

<< < (6/9) > >>

cthorpe:
I just received word from the developers that they are putting together a discount on Jungle Disk for our members.

Stay tuned.

justice:
So I've been looking to backup my music collection.. And further research has lead me to the following model. It seems I'm wanting to do 3 seperate things which I thought was all backup:

* Backup: Keep a secure backup of files i'm working on in case of hard drive crash or accidental deletion, such as my documents folder
* Archival: keep large amounts of data  that I might need a long time from now and delete it off my local drive, such as ISO images or installation images
* Syncing: Have information available both at work and home in an up to date version.

Because Amazon S3 charges per GB, Jungledisk is good for Syncing. Backing up data is also good especially with previous versions now part of the automatic backup. However you want to look for an alternative for Archival if you're especially price conscious like myself and get yourself a huge harddisk instead and move stuff off your system. Currently I'm paying over 10 dollars a month, which means it could be cheaper to use Mozy ($5 a month for unlimited backup, but once you delete files off your system it gets deleted after 30 days) if my 'Backup' data is particularly large. However you can't sync or archive with Mozy.

So I'm now looking to move my archived files off JungleDisk and onto something else and then see what the bill will be. Also looking at Dropbox for syncing, maybe its more seamless.

tomos:
I just received word from the developers that they are putting together a discount on Jungle Disk for our members.
-cthorpe (July 22, 2008, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

oh
just bought it yesterday, ah well, it's very reasonable here with the $ to € exchange rates

J-Mac:
I went ahead and made the purchase shortly after the review was posted.  Other than that one snafu with Amazon S3 servers going down a few days ago, this has been working surprisingly well!  After having canceled Mozy after a year, JD is a pleasant surprise.

Thanks again, justice!

Jim

tinjaw:
I too purchased Jungle Disk after reading the mini-review.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version