ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Visual Web Developer 2008 - newbie questions and help requests

(1/2) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Alright, as the topic name suggests, I am giving web programming a shot.

I am somewhat intermediate (IMO) in Visual Basic .NET 08, so I figure that I'll make an attempt to put my "SystemCare" app (part of my SnapSuite app) online, so that people don't have to download an entire program (or carry it around on a USB thumbdrive, etc).

So I have the (somewhat lame) interface setup on the ASPX file, and I go ahead and start writing code for the click event, similar to what I would do for Visual Basic. Web Developer tells me that I cannot use the Process.Start command, unless I do it though System.Diagnostics. So, I go ahead and apply the fix, and continue working. Now I test. When I click the button, it comes up.... with a "Save File" dialog (in Firefox).

Now, the code works correctly - the bad part is, I want it to be able to download and then run the files (EXEs) silently, without user intervention. One-click, "Now working", be done with it.

I know that "this could be used for malicious actions" and "ZOMG ITS A VIRUS!!!11!1!!!" ... but all I am looking for is a way to silently run executable files from the internet. No bull.

Anyone here got ideas? I've tried several methods (changing the Process.Start to start a "file://" and not an "http://", for example) and nothing works. I tinkered around looking for a silent/download/process.start.silent/etc options, and no avail.

--- Code: vb.net ---Imports System.Diagnostics Partial Class _Default    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page     Protected Sub CleanupButton_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CleanupButton.Click        'FileCopy("http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/SystemCareOnline/InstantSweep.exe", "C:\temp\SystemCareOnline\InstantSweep.exe")        Process.Start("http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/SystemCareOnline/InstantSweep.exe")     End SubEnd Class
As of right now I only have that little bit of code, as I need to get it working before I get the other buttons working (otherwise it would be more code that didn't work).

Suggestions? Ideas? Something I am missing? Another method to do it? :tellme:

-Brandon

justice:
You'd have to make an ActiveX object (which will only run in internet explorer) or java applet then because of security limitations it's not possible to silently run executables without a sandbox.

f0dder:
You'd have to make an ActiveX object (which will only run in internet explorer) or java applet then because of security limitations it's not possible to silently run executables without a sandbox.
-justice (June 17, 2008, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
And thanks goodness for that.

Also, you cannot "run applications over the internet" - the whole executable has to be downloaded to the client machine first. This also goes for ActiveX objects, but that would happen silently of course. ActiveX isn't all-trivial to code, and you'll need to pay out to get your control digitally signed... so probably not an option for you.

wreckedcarzz:
I figured it would have to download first anyways, but I don't know *anything* about Java, but I have a couple friends that do; that, and I am taking my programming class this fall, and that includes Java...

OK, at least I know now. :)

Veign:
Thank God this can not be done and as time and browser versions increase the browsers are even further protecting the user from accidentally running something malicious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version