topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 5:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best duplicate finder in email client?  (Read 7999 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Best duplicate finder in email client?
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:15 PM »
Either the client, add-on or as a stand-alone helper app, what's the best you've found to get rid of dupes ammased over the years?

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best duplicate finder in email client?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:20 PM »
Not sure how well any dupe finder would work in an email client since emails tend to be threaded and therefore the actual quantity of dupes (in a text comparison) would be very, very low.  This is one of those tools that I would be very careful in running and really have a good understanding of the rules at which dupes are being determined.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:54 PM »
For Thunderbird, (I actually use Portable Thunderbird), the addon Remove Duplicate Messages.

You can compare on various things, (see attached), and choose by default which it will delete - although it displays a list afterwards to allow you to manually (de)select emails.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Nice to see you back, Codetrucker  :Thmbsup:

I tried a MapiLabs application a couple of years ago to remove duplicates from my Outlook pst (pretty sure I was running Outlook 2000 at the time). It worked well, but it was as scary as some of the less feature-rich duplicate finders I've tried in that it was hard to determine what I was deleting and from where...

Might be worth a look now, though. I know the MapiLabs add-ins are fairly well thought of. This, of course, assumes that you're using Outlook as your e-mail client...

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:11 AM »
Not sure how well any dupe finder would work in an email client since emails tend to be threaded and therefore the actual quantity of dupes (in a text comparison) would be very, very low.  This is one of those tools that I would be very careful in running and really have a good understanding of the rules at which dupes are being determined.

Wise counsel.  I'll take heed.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:13 AM »
For Thunderbird, (I actually use Portable Thunderbird), the addon Remove Duplicate Messages.

You can compare on various things, (see attached), and choose by default which it will delete - although it displays a list afterwards to allow you to manually (de)select emails.
I recall using this in TB, but seems like I had a reason that provoked me to abandon it?  Can't remember right now.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:31 AM »
Nice to see you back, Codetrucker  :Thmbsup:

I tried a MapiLabs application a couple of years ago to remove duplicates from my Outlook pst (pretty sure I was running Outlook 2000 at the time). It worked well, but it was as scary as some of the less feature-rich duplicate finders I've tried in that it was hard to determine what I was deleting and from where...

Might be worth a look now, though. I know the MapiLabs add-ins are fairly well thought of. This, of course, assumes that you're using Outlook as your e-mail client...

Thanks for the welcome and the reply, but no Outlook here.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 01:07 AM »
I recall using this in TB, but seems like I had a reason that provoked me to abandon it?  Can't remember right now.
-CodeTRUCKER

I've used it for over a year now, it's only used occasionally when I want to compact the databases but I've never had a problem with it.

I don't have it set to 'Auto Delete' so I get to see what it's going to do before I let it.