ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

How to get best juice out of FARR?

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
if what you find is that trying the same search many times in a row is only ever slow the FIRST time, and not if you try it again right after, then what you are experiencing is the delay when the operating system loads the directories into cached memory.

kartal:
My searches are 85% of the time the way Armando described, it is slow :( I hate indexers but seriously application launching is blazing fast with any of those :(

Mouse if you can give us some tips or tricks toi increase the speed of searches that would be great.

nitrix-ud:
i am extremely concerned about speed and so far FARR is just the best, search is fast 95% of the time...

maybe you should carefully review all the search folders of yours, and check there are no remote folders
if i want to search a remote folder, i add it in the search folders BUT i add a keyword, so that it is not used when i perform a "regular" search

then to search on the remote folder, just create an dosearch alias:
dosearch nameoftheremotefolder

kartal:
Does Farr keep history items forever even if the user limits shown history to 10-20 etc? I am talking about "max files to keep in launch history". If it does not keep them then it would be a problem. I personally keep that list short (20) so that when I invoke Farr it opens quickly.

For example what happens If I search for an item that I succesfully launched 3 months ago and never used since then? Is Farr supposed to find it right away?

Armando:
if what you find is that trying the same search many times in a row is only ever slow the FIRST time, and not if you try it again right after, then what you are experiencing is the delay when the operating system loads the directories into cached memory.
-mouser (June 18, 2008, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Farr is usually fast. What happens is that even if an item is in the history list, sometimes it won't be shown right away -- even if the score is high, or even the highest in the list.

Does Farr keep history items forever even if the user limits shown history to 10-20 etc? I am talking about "max files to keep in launch history". If it does not keep them then it would be a problem. I personally keep that list short (20) so that when I invoke Farr it opens quickly.

For example what happens If I search for an item that I succesfully launched 3 months ago and never used since then? Is Farr supposed to find it right away?

-kartal (June 18, 2008, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

In your case, Kartal, I'd say that your history list is quite (too?) short. Mine is 990... And farr opens instantly. Why would it slow it down? If your list was a bit longer it would allow farr to remember anything you previously launched and would pretty much act like an index.

PS : I don't think that my problem is not that similar to Kartal's, after all, since my history list is much longer. The delay he experiences seem to be related to a history list that's a bit too short.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version