ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How can I get hard drive space... without deleting (my) stuff?

(1/7) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Alright, here is a question that may stomp even the most "clean" computer users...

How can I get more free space back, WITHOUT uninstalling programs, WITHOUT deleting things I need (VB projects, family photos, archived document stuff...), and WITHOUT removing my games (that's the point of freeing space, to be able to put another game (namely, Crysis) onto the computer).

I use my own SystemCare program, and that runs a small AHK script to clean my computer, followed by Disk Cleanup, CCleaner, and Steven Gould's CleanUp! - so junk files are not an issue. I run backups on my 2nd partition, so they are already out of the way. I uninstall every app that I don't need and keep only stuff I need, archiving stuff that I may need later onto the backup partition.

I can't get a second hard drive because cash is tight for the family, but I only have 9.16GB left, and it is draining fast.

My only idea is that I could move all my backups onto my old server (used for Sauerbraten by the DC Gamers Club), however then I don't know how to combine two NTFS partitions (my main Windows partition and the then-empty Backup partition). Either that, or there might be some software out there that searches for and deletes no-longer-needed things that Windows leaves (service pack uninstall files, etc). :-\

Ideas? :tellme:
-Brandon

(My backup partition is also running low on space, at just 3.47GB left - see the image below)

superboyac:
That's impossible, dude.
How do I get more money, without actually getting more money?

wreckedcarzz:
Right, but isn't there SOMEthing out there that can remove old stuff from Windows updates and whatnot? Or can it be done manually?

Darwin:
Well... there are scripts to remove Windows update uninstallation files and there is the option to compress your harddrive, but I'm with superboyac! If you *do* figure out how to get your money for nothing and your chicks for free, let us know! Will you? Please...

EDIT: dang! Missed a sentence fragment here and a comma there... Corrected now  :Thmbsup:

Grorgy:
Like Darwin says there are, but you can do that with CCleaner, it is in the advanced options Hotfix Uninstallers,  but if you delete them then need to uninstall you could find a problem  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version