Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 22, 2014, 02:46:56 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Philips Flat TV 20"  (Read 6125 times)
Babis
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 16, 2008, 03:54:25 AM »

Hello. At my work I have a crappy ViewSonic 17''

At my home I have a Philips Flat TV 20", specifications here

Please advise how this TV will stand as office computer monitor (i.e. used for creating documents, sending emails & faxes, browsing and occasionally picture editing)

Or maybe its not worth it as office monitor?

Thanks smiley
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:36:33 AM »

you are almost certainly not going to be able to use that lcd tv on a computer in any satisfactory way.  it's just not designed to be able to hook up to a computer and doesn't have the resolution it would need to do so.
Babis
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:56:49 AM »

Oh thanks mouser, can you suggest any that will work well on an office computer (no video games), around 20-22 inches ?

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 05:00:57 AM »

are you looking for just general recommendations for computer monitors, or are you looking for a monitor that can specifically work as both tv or computer monitor?
Babis
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:17:25 AM »

I am looking for a very good office monitor (text editing, emails, browsing) and nothing else like tv and gaming.

gogogadgetscott
Supporting Member

Mechanical engineer who has inexplicable knowledge

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:46:11 AM »

Notice that the Philips has a panel resolution of 640 x 480. The is the best pc resolution you can use without the text looking like worms. If you are sure about a TV Tuner/LCD, check out Vizio. I belief they are the best deal out there. Their 20 in has a panel resolution of 1366 x 768. http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=52
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:14:07 AM »

Just about any TFT monitor made today will be fine for your needs - the only thing you really need to specify is which resolution you want it to be (ie, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, whatever). You say you don't need gaming or TV, so you're obviously not going to need a TV tuner in it.

I have a couple of 17" Acer TFTs, running 1280x1024 - solid, clear, crisp and flickerfree, and pretty cheap as well.

- carpe noctem
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 08:14:24 AM »

I am looking for a very good office monitor (text editing, emails, browsing) and nothing else like tv and gaming.

have a look at the LCD thread
Scroll down to post #2 (it's a long way down .)) where they have recommendations for various uses ranging in price from $230* to $1400 or so!

OFFICE WORK (word processing/spreadsheet/PowerPoint)
High contrast at medium brightness
Good text reproduction
Matte display coating
* also Acer
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:16:39 AM by tomos » Logged

Tom
Babis
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:31:42 AM »

Thanks
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:49:57 PM »

640x480 spread over 20 inches?  stars

I guess that would be good if you have vision problems, but other than that it would really, really suck.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »

640x480 spread over 20 inches?  stars

I guess that would be good if you have vision problems, but other than that it would really, really suck.
Indeed. It's pretty fine for old analogue TV, but it'd suck majorly for use as a computer monitor smiley

- carpe noctem
Babis
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 02:27:20 AM »

have a look at the LCD thread
Scroll down to post #2 (it's a long way down .)) where they have recommendations for various uses ranging in price from $230* to $1400 or so!

OFFICE WORK (word processing/spreadsheet/PowerPoint)
High contrast at medium brightness
Good text reproduction
Matte display coating
* also Acer

Hi tomos. I followed the link and read about reviews and bought a DELL, though expensive, with excellent display. Now yesterday my bedroom's TV has been broken and I want to replace it with a LCD 32", with emphasis to sound quality. Do you have any similar link for LCD or Plasma TVs reviews, thanks in advance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0.17 ]