ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let go of your bookmarks!

<< < (6/9) > >>

ender:
gmail has been my bookmark system for 2 years, since I found toread.cc .
virtually everything, I found interesting while surfing and browsing, I will just hit my toread.cc script in the booksmarks, and it goes with link to my gmail account.
till now, I have 40,000 *emails* or links in my gmail account, of course, not all from toread.cc, but half of them? sure.
and if I need something, I just use some keywords, and gmail usually gives me the correct file I was looking for.
Rather than google.com, which might also have lots of junk in between the results.

jojo99:
I disagree.  I have over 5000 Favorites.  I use the FF extension PlainOldFavorites to give me the same structure in IE as in FF.  And every year or so I run through them using amdeadlink and check that they are still in existence and available.

I also use the Scraplink FF extension to save copies of pages with information I am interested in, just in case the page disappears.

Google/Yahoo, etc. are useful for quick, common searches.  However, too often, the first few pages of most search engine results are gamed and littered with garbage links from CNET, Nexttag, Dealtime, Pricegrabber,etc.  Try searching for reviews on just about anything electronic, for instance.

What if you have a selection of favorite sites that you are experienced and happy with?  Say favorite photography blogs?  Specific articles on certain health subjects?  Best File Sharing sites?  Best airline ticket sites. Best virus scanning sites?  etc.  How about sites using Flash content (until recently? Google didn't search such sites)?  There are many reasons to maintain and use favorites/bookmarks.

I use the last free version of X1 to search the favorites fast and quickly when I need to find something that I think I have saved.

dantheman:
jojo,

I liked your comments about link checking.
Does IE favs contain keyword shortcuts? That's what i like about FF! You can add always add a keyword say "dcf" for the forum here and when using OpenBook extension you get that perfect partner to manage your bookmarks with ease.
Foxmarks is great to sync your bookmarks online and they have an alpha testing program now to sync with IE and I'm sure it will be out of alpha stage soon.

Dats my 2 cents for today!   :P

jojo99:
PlainOldFavorites has the same exact design as in IE.  I don't know about keyboard shortcuts as I have never used such functionality.  Sorry.

dantheman:
PlainOldFavorites has the same exact design as in IE.  I don't know about keyboard shortcuts as I have never used such functionality.  Sorry.
-jojo99 (July 14, 2008, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jojo,

I believe IE7PRO and Maxthon (freeware) have this kind of option.
You simply assign a shortcut to your link and type it in the url address box.
Say you bookmarked www.google.com
You can assign any letter in the keyword section of your Firefox bookmarked page so, say you assign the letter "g" then all you have to do is type "g" in your url box, hit enter and you're taken over to www.google.com Neat hé? It can be really handy for extra long url addresses.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version