ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let go of your bookmarks!

(1/9) > >>

MrCrispy:
Topic of discussion - bookmarks are not needed, all you need is a search engine!

I've invested a lot of time and effort in bookmarking any site which I find useful or interesting, and then organizing and syncing those bookmarks using various tools and online managers like del.icio.us etc. And I hardly ever use them. This is what ends up happening -

1. if its a site you visit frequently, its going to be in your browser history, or saved session in Firefox as well.
2. if its not, chances are good its a reference site. In this case you're better off using google or any social bookmarking service to find it based on what you'r elooking for.
3. A lot of the sites you've bookmarked are probably dead/moved/no longer current.

Maybe I'm the only (insane) user who has hundreds of bookmarks, yet hardly ever uses them when looking for something.

lanux128:
good point, that's why i always have these two add-ons in my Firefox for searching within the bookmarks. not to mention Farr's FarrFox when the browser is closed.

1. Autocomplete Manager
2. Enhanced Bookmark Search

Darwin:
No, you're not alone, MrCrispy. I have hundreds of sites bookmarked, backupped and organized into next week... yet rarely, if ever actually use them!

Grorgy:
I use them as a first step to finding things, I have 3 or 4 hundred sites bookmarked, I find that I have trouble finding a site again, particularly if it is something like a site that has fonts or something which to me is a bit obscure, and there are so many of them, and mostly so confusing to the novice, I don't use them often, but they save the day sometimes.

kartal:
I do not use bookmarks at all. I think that they create clutter because they are so easy to create. What I do is keep the web sites I like and so called bookmarks in my info application which is Wikidpad. I can tag them, date them, link them etc. It is easier to integrate into my info environment this way otherwise they would be in seperate application.

I also started using Zotero for firefox in conjunction with Wikidpad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version