topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

How many users have system problems upon installing Setpoint software?

System instability
1 (12.5%)
System slowdown
2 (25%)
Interference with other applications
5 (62.5%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Logitech's Setpoint  (Read 17462 times)

Charleybriz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Logitech's Setpoint
« on: January 08, 2008, 12:41 PM »
I have installed a Logitech Gamepad & Optical Mouse. In both cases "Setpoint" caused either freezes, or frequent instability in running the hardware it came with.
My system is by no means resource poor or old, and I'm a half-way experienced user. How many people have run into problems with this software.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Logitech's Setpoint
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:52 PM »
No issues at all on WinXP SP2. The drivers that come on CD with the device are usually outdated though, and I've seen bugs in SetPoint 3.x. Nothing that affected system stability however, just UI annoyances, such as various settings not remembered across reboots. Upgrading to the latest 4.0.x release seems to fix them.

I've never used gamepads though, just mice - MX Revolution and a "wired" (what's the opposite of cordless?) laser mouse.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:59 PM »
Check the Logitech Forum and you'll see that you are not alone.  Several solutions are discussed there, but different ones seem to work for different users.

Personally, I have had much difficulty at times but the 4.x versions run OK for me now.  Also, make sure to give UberOptions a try.  UberOptions is an add-on that gives you a lot more options, more customization of the various buttons on different mice.  (meeces?)  E.g., on my MX Revolution wireless mouse you cannot use the middle button in Firefox to open a new tab. UberOptions adds that plus many other added features.  UberOptions is developed by Richard Lowens - rloens on the forum.  He's a user who is apparently a good coder also.

Setpoint used to automatically install the Logitech Desktop Manager (LDM) which you don't want.  Part of it is simply an installation of Backweb.  It is constantly running in the background and sends advertising pop-ups to your desktop.  (I think they were all Logitech ads, but I hate it just the same!)  It also pops up when a new version is available, but you can get that functionality with Secunia's free PSI program.  (Personal Software Inspector)  It places 78 separate entries in your Startup config!  It also talks to Logitech far too much for my liking.

Also, if you use a Logitech Web Cam, be very careful and read up as much as you can before installing the drivers for it.  Two separate webcam drivers turned out to be incompatible with Creative SoundBlaster sound cards and caused some sudden hard crashes - hard to recover from because as soon as you'd restart your PC it would crash again as the sound card drivers initialized.  I had to use system restore in safe mode.  After the first time this occurred on a pretty widespread basis Logitech discovered that it was their built-in sound drivers for the webcam's auto-record audio feature - Echo-something or other.  Then after getting that fixed they released another driver with the exact same conflict 8 months later!   :o

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 04:03 PM »
No issues at all on WinXP SP2. The drivers that come on CD with the device are usually outdated though, and I've seen bugs in SetPoint 3.x. Nothing that affected system stability however, just UI annoyances, such as various settings not remembered across reboots. Upgrading to the latest 4.0.x release seems to fix them.

I've never used gamepads though, just mice - MX Revolution and a "wired" (what's the opposite of cordless?) laser mouse.

Tranglos - After having no luck with the G5 and G7 mice - lags and delays - the MX Revolution totally rocks!  I'd say the best overall wireless mouse I have used.  I have WebSite Watcher watching the Amazon and Newegg pages for the MX Revolution so I can maybe buy one or two more if they go on a big enough sale.  This mouse works so well I just know Logitech will discontinue it!!

Jim

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:08 PM »
I have SetPoint on my Vista machine with my Logitech G11 gaming keyboard and G7 wireless gaming mouse, and I have no issues. I use the options frequently to fine tune things and it goes off without a hitch. :Thmbsup: Not sure why you guys are seeing problems :huh:

After reading J-Mac's post, though, I will not be buying a $100 webcam from Logitech if it means it may screw over my $150 SoundBlaster card. :o

-Brandon

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 05:19 PM »
Tranglos - After having no luck with the G5 and G7 mice - lags and delays - the MX Revolution totally rocks!  I'd say the best overall wireless mouse I have used.  I have WebSite Watcher watching the Amazon and Newegg pages for the MX Revolution so I can maybe buy one or two more if they go on a big enough sale.  This mouse works so well I just know Logitech will discontinue it!!

MX Revolution is indeed sweet. The only thing I don't like about it is that it runs no more than 3-4 days without charging - compared to months for mice with replaceable batteries, but those were too heavy for me. But MX Revolution looks like a damn spaceship sitting on my desk, all is forgiven! :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:20 PM by tranglos »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 05:41 PM »

MX Revolution is indeed sweet. The only thing I don't like about it is that it runs no more than 3-4 days without charging - compared to months for mice with replaceable batteries, but those were too heavy for me. But MX Revolution looks like a damn spaceship sitting on my desk, all is forgiven! :)

True, but if you have tried their other wireless mice, some only get 8 to 12 hours!  I have a G7 and three extra batteries to keep swapping them out!  So four days is a lifetime compared to that.  BTW, the G5 doesn't have any spare batteries available and they have a short charge life also.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 05:43 PM »
I have SetPoint on my Vista machine with my Logitech G11 gaming keyboard and G7 wireless gaming mouse, and I have no issues. I use the options frequently to fine tune things and it goes off without a hitch. :Thmbsup: Not sure why you guys are seeing problems :huh:

After reading J-Mac's post, though, I will not be buying a $100 webcam from Logitech if it means it may screw over my $150 SoundBlaster card. :o

-Brandon

Mine are all on XP Pro - maybe the new drivers they had to develop for Vista work better.

You have never had any lags with your G7?  Their forum is overflowing with users who are seeing this.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 10:16 PM »
You have never had any lags with your G7?  Their forum is overflowing with users who are seeing this.

Never an instant. Response time improved over any mouse I have had to date. Plugged, played, and installed SetPoint. :)

Only "complaint" I have is that it runs about 1.5 days of gaming on weekends without needing a battery swap, but a good few days on school days before recharging. Not my idea of long battery life, but a 2 hour charge isn't something to bitch about, either. :-\

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 11:34 PM »
In my case logitech's setpoint seemed to be conflicting with the microsoft keyboard special driver.  my conclusion was mixing the two was not good.

a_lunatic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Fulltime Single Dad
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 01:13 AM »
I got two G5's & had no problems with them & now I got a G9 with SetPointII with no problems.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:23 AM »
I just stopped installing Logitech mouse drivers. Default XP drivers work fine for me.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 03:05 AM »
I just stopped installing Logitech mouse drivers. Default XP drivers work fine for me.

Gaming mice?  With added acceleration features, ability to have different buttons perform different actions depending on what application is focused?

Jim

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 03:13 AM »
No, not gaming mice. I have a Logitech TrackMan (no special buttons) and a Logitech MX 1000 Cordless Laser. The MX 1000 is too erratic with the cursor sometimes not responding or jumping across the screen suddenly so I use it on my computer I don't use very much. I also don't use any of the special buttons on it. All I need/want are right and left clicks with a scroll wheel.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 12:27 PM »
No, not gaming mice. I have a Logitech TrackMan (no special buttons) and a Logitech MX 1000 Cordless Laser. The MX 1000 is too erratic with the cursor sometimes not responding or jumping across the screen suddenly so I use it on my computer I don't use very much. I also don't use any of the special buttons on it. All I need/want are right and left clicks with a scroll wheel.
That's why the default XP drivers are OK by you.  If you wre using the above, you would need to Setpoint software.

Jim

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 09:53 AM »
I have had 4 Logitech G7 mice (2 black, 2 green) for a while now running them with setpoint software and having no issues in the last 2 years.  (Just a tip for anyone considering buying a G7, don't accidentally purchase the older green version, as the black one is MUCH better)

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 10:48 AM »
E.g., on my MX Revolution wireless mouse you cannot use the middle button in Firefox to open a new tab.

select "autoscroll" as your middle mouse button. for firefox to open in new tab, you have to double-click the middle mouse button.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 01:06 PM »
In my case logitech's setpoint seemed to be conflicting with the microsoft keyboard special driver.  my conclusion was mixing the two was not good.

Same here. Conflicts with my IBM ultranav. Logitech sucks at writing drivers.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 08:11 PM »
The only thing I don't like about SetPoint is lack of configuration for some things, in my case media players, but it's easily solved with a text editor, Google, and some tweaking here and there. Other than that, I'm happy with them :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 10:03 PM »
The only thing I don't like about SetPoint is lack of configuration for some things, in my case media players, but it's easily solved with a text editor, Google, and some tweaking here and there. Other than that, I'm happy with them :)

yeah, SetPoint is sadly lacking but uberOptions helps you to soften the blow and it uses AHK for extended functionality. :up: