ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Father's Day Memory of Fathers and Computers.. Your stories?

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
slip-stick?

Edvard:
slip-stick?
--- End quote ---
Slide Rule
http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/

My father was much like Nudone's... "I don't need no computer no-how" he'd say to me and my brother as we labored over a Timex-Sinclair 1000.
One day, at my high school they had a "Parent's Day" where one of the parents would go to school in place of the kid for the day. In Art class, they had the parent's do a little circular vignette of what they thought of (visually) when they thought of their kid.
My father drew (in his old-fashioned chicken-scratch method) a picture of me, a picture of both of us fishing together, a guitar and a computer. Even though he had no use for a computer and the kind of music I played on my guitar drove him out of the house sometimes, he acknowledged that these were things as important to my character as trout fishing was to him.

/edvard discreetly wipes a tear away :-[

cranioscopical:
slip-stick?-mouser (June 16, 2008, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
Slide rule.
[edit: I see Edvard beat me to it  :Thmbsup:]

icekin:
My first was a 286, around 1991. I remember playing "Digger" and "Double Dragon" for hours. Those computers had to first be booted through one 5.25" floppy and then a second floppy had to be inserted to load up whatever program you wanted. Back then, a computer was only for entertainment, I didn't even know how to use word processors yet, let alone programming. It was only around 1994 when I started learning through computers, mainly from MS Encarta. Discovered the internet the same year, surfing on a US robotics phone modem at ~ 9600 bps. Discovered Yahoo quickly since I think they had the best search engine at the time, along with a directory of games that could be played online.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version