topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for June 13th, 2008 - Codename "Programmapalooza"  (Read 33882 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for June 13th, 2008
Codename "Programmapalooza"

"If you read nothing else on our site, read our BLOG"
(new rss feed with images)

1. Newsletter Editorial

Greetings dear readers! Yes it's time again for another DC newsletter.  June has been a big month at the site, and it's only half over.

If you are a programmer, do not miss the programming contest we are running which ends on July 1st with a giant MS Visual Studio bundle prize (includes all Windows OS's and office tools, worth over $10,000).

I've released a new major version of my Find and Run Robot program which includes a new html view mode that will hopefully be of use to plugin writers, who have been creating some very fun new addons for the program.  If you haven't checked out the program yet, now might be the time.

This has also been a very busy productive month for mini-review writers on the forum, so we've got a section devoted to mini-reviews in this month's newsletter.  And don't miss the interview with the reclusive mysterious DC coder known as Skrommel.

If you've never posted on the forum before, this would be a great time to join us with your first post -- there's even a section of the newsletter below highlighting some threads that we'd love to have people participate in.  If you're a fan of DonationCoder and the way we do things, we'd especially appreciate you checking out the thread about nominating DonationCoder.com to PC Mag's Top 100 Websites.

-mouser, June 13, 2008

2. Your Participation Requested

A warm welcome to all the new members who have joined over the last month.  Here are some good topics on which to make your debut post.  Don't be shy, just jump right in, we are always happy to hear from new people.  And for our long term members, you know what to do -- join in and make your voice heard.

3. DonationCoder.com Software Updates

As promised, June has kicked off a period of vigorous software updates for our programs.  If you've been waiting for an update to one of our programs, you're likely to see it this month if it hasn't been released already:

4. Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-reviews are a great resource for people researching software solutions and may be found on the dedicated Mini-Review Board.  Please remember to acknowledge the efforts of the reviewers with a few donationcredits if you find their reviews interesting and/or helpful.

5. Fun, Games, and Humour

One of the things that makes the forum a nice place to hang out is that there is a good balance between serious expert discussion and just plain silly fun (and everything in between).  There are always a few truly sublime discoveries posted by DC members each month, and this month was no exception.

6. Living Room

The Living Room section of the forum is where we discuss general issues that don't really belong in the other, dedicated sections.  It's kind of a catch-all section -- lots of website discoveries and recommendations, etc. This makes it a great place to explore - you never know what you're going to find!

7. General Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we've split the recent content into to sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.

8. Specific Software Discussion

This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.

9. Developer's Corner

A pretty thin set of posts in the Developer's Corner section this month -- why is that?  Remember that this section isn't just for computer programmers, it's for entrepreneurs of all kinds to discuss the issues involving creating things and running a small business.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:21 AM by mouser »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yay for newsletters! Without them I would miss so much  :Thmbsup: :up:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice job, well done.
Thanks mouser!

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great newsletter! Best in a while, actually :) And how did I first miss that interview with skrommel?!? Great read :up:

dbm1rxb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Mouser.

Skrommel's interview put a human face on his coding, his family and where he lives. With the hot humid weather here, I wish I was in Norway too!  :)

The Firefox information is great. I'm waiting for the release before I download it as my better half also uses the same computer and if something doesn't work exactly the way she's used to it working, she gets really upset.  :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Mouser  :Thmbsup: Great job! Like others, I can't believe I missed the Skrommel interview - never would have read it without the newsletter, and I'm really glad that I was given a second opportunity to read it. Well worth it!

skybright

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank You Mouser, I always look forward to the newsletter.  I would have missed Skrommel's interview as well if it wasn't for you. :Thmbsup: :-*

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wow! an interview with Skrommel. definitely the highlight of this issue! :up: next, perhaps a podcast version of the interview? :-\

brotman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Man, I hate this newsletter!  >:( It comes in and I spend all this time reading it and then I have to go and download a couple of terabytes of excelent freeware.  If it wasn't  so good, I could just scan it and ignore all the downloads... ;)

[irony off]
Chuck Brotman

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the encouragement.. sometimes it can be hard to get motivated to put together the newsletters.. knowing that people like them makes it worth while.

mteal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newsletter for June 13th, 2008 - Codename "Programmapalooza"
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 09:05 PM »
I've been a member for a while but haven't made many posts on the forum. I really appreciate all the work that goes into the newsletters and administering this great site. Sorry it took a newsletter to "tell" me to post ;)