ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Storage on the go

(1/3) > >>

m_s:
(Not really a software question, more of a hardware/lifehack...)

My boss uses an Olympus DM-20 digital voice recorder (lovely machine) to record talks he gives.  It stores about 20 hours of (quite) high-quality digital audio, but over the coming two months he will be travelling and recording very much more than that.  Usually, I travel with him and carry a laptop to transfer talks as we go, and burn them to CD.  But this time I'm not going, so I'm looking for advice on ways - if it's possible at all - to archive these recordings on the move, without him needing to carry a computer.  The recorder has built-in memory, so just swapping to another module isn't an option.  It connects to PC via a usb cradle, and is mounted as an external drive.  So I want to know if anyone knows of a system I could use - an external drive or powerful pda, perhaps - that would allow usb syncing.  Anybody?

Carol Haynes:
There are quite a few items that would probably meet your needs but are designed for photographers.

Sorry I haven't a list to hand but you can look on some photo websites.

Things I have seen are USB CD/DVD Burners that work on the fly, and also hand held Hard Disc based solutions. Most of them allow you to connect via USB or plugin a media card. But you would have to make sure that the USB connection would work for your device as I am not sure how specific the software connection is.

m_s:
Does anybody else have any ideas on this?  I went into a few photography shops in town, but they only knew of drives that would require a memory card to be inserted, where as this needs to be usb mounted...

mouser:
this is actually a great question.
here's a possible good solution.

the new hd based media players, one with giant hds,
some of them are basically just big hard drives with usb hubs.
plus they play music.

he can probably find one of these that would be very happy to let you transfer the files to it exactly as you want.

so your task is to find one of the hd-based mp3 players with usb interface that can do this.

Carol Haynes:
Sorry didn't think most cameras have cards of one sort or another - short of a laptop I can' t think of any storage devices that are USB compatible without a PC or similar as a controller?

Presumably the device needs drivers to communicate with the laptop, so even if you can find a device that could do this the chances of it having drivers that support the recorder seem pretty slim.

This was the sort of thing I was thinking of: https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/empProdDetails.asp?sku=200336-410

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version