ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: VUE; Virtual User Environment

<< < (2/2)

jgpaiva:
Oops.. Now i see the completeness of your idea. You are thinking about using it in computers without admin rights. That's definitelly a problem. I don't think it's possible to change that paths without having admin rights  :( (even though i don't quite know how to change it using a program)

SexyLilDarkPaw:
Actually strangely enough that still works out, admin on my laptop, admin on my desktop, and at school we are admins on the PC's themself but not the network.  we can install and uninstall and do w/e we want :-p computer labs and in the commons. =) they are confident in their security enough to give us that power i guess.  Almost every computer is stocked with games and stuff, they dont care because we pay them so much maybe?

But yeah ... be kind of tough for people who dont have admin at school, but its still great if you have multiple PC's or a laptop and want to synch settings and profiles and stuff =)

sharpie:

Ceedo did it all software based, same concept works the same, less features then what i said.  The thing about ceedo that gets me is it doesn't work with some programs unless you download them specially packaged and install them to usb.  I can understand having a portable app on your USB.  but if you know its something on everyones pc why not save space and only keep the settings stored not the app  :huh: makes sense to me.  Like save you like using a program that is most definitely not portable, but you can save your settings and take them to multiple computers that already have it installed, that may not be a great as taking the app everywhere but it gives you a break by skipping inputting all your settings each time you go to a new pc.

-Felicia-SexyLilDarkPaw (November 01, 2006, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know that this is an old thread, but I feel that it is worth resurrecting it.

Ceedo has come a long way since Felicia made this post. Argo, which used to be called "Install Anything" is the Ceedo application installer, and can install a ton of regular unmodified software on a USB drive or portable hard drive that has Ceedo installed on it. MS Office is now supported (2000 through 2007 in XP, and 2000, 2003 and Office XP in Vista). .msi Application installations are pretty well supported, and this support is improving steadily. Apparently, .NET support is planned for the next release of Ceedo.

Ceedo is available for download as a trial version at http://ceedo.com.

One more thing: Argo used to be sold separately, raising the cost of Ceedo significantly, but now Argo and Ceedo are bundled on the same license, and the cost is around $39.00. Not a bad deal considering everything you can do with Ceedo.

scancode:
Try this (last publicly available version): [ Invalid Attachment ]

JauntePE is a simple utility that is designed to help you attempt to run non-portable applications in a portable manner. Its two main features are the redirection of registry modifications into a portable registry file and the redirection of special directory file system modifications into equivalent portable directories.
JauntePE accomplishs the "portablization" of applications through dll-injecting and api-hooking, allowing JauntePE to insert its runtime dll code into the launched application's created process so that JauntePE's runtime code is executed in place of the OS code that would otherwise allow the registry and file system modifications to occur that make the application unportable. The JauntePE runtime then analyzes the requests made and either executes its own code to portablize the request or, if it determines that no unnecessary modification will be made, allows the request to be processed by the OS as normal.

AND READ THE DOCS!

edit: added some info

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version