topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: get avi and mpeg video file on Video-CD/DVD  (Read 10436 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
get avi and mpeg video file on Video-CD/DVD
« on: October 31, 2005, 04:17 AM »
Hi,

I have some funny avi and mpeg video clips which I want to show a friend. She has no PC (yes, those still exist! :D ) and so I need to burn them on a Video-CD or DVD.

I understand that Nero is able to create Video-CDs? But what about DVDs? Do I need a tool like InterVideo's WinDVD Creator for that or is there some free alternative?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: get avi and mpeg video file on Video-CD/DVD
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 07:45 AM »
Nero 6 will create DVDs but you will need to use ReCode to produce the necessary files - do it over night as it takes for ever,

I have to say, I'm not impressed with reCode - I always get time shifts between video and audio.

TMPGEnc can convert to compatible MPEG formats (better), which you should then be able to import into a DVD Video project.

There is a free version fo TMPGEnc (see http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html) but it is not very friendly.

If you want a good (and easy to use - but unfortunatley not free) DVD Authoring package try http://www.pegasys-i.../en/product/tda.html. It is written by the same people as TMPGenc but is the commercial version. If you want to use non standard files you need to use TMPGEnc to encode the files correctly, or better purchase the bundle with TMPGEnc XPress 3. They aren't fast programs but they do produce discs that work every time. There is a new version out now (which adds a few bells and whistles) but is more expensive. It is being marketed in the the US under the name TSUNAMI, see http://www.tmpg-inc....m/product/index.html - unfortunately they like to use boxed products in the US market so you can't get a download version of the MPEG editor etc. but you can use TMPGEnc XPress 3.0 which is dowloadable and functionally equivalent (and the UI is virtually identical).

The other place you could look for other software that may help is http://www.doom9.org (it's not as grim as it sounds).

Doom9 is primarily aimed at making DVD backups, but they have LOTS of really useful tools for producing DVD compatible stuff too.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 07:57 AM by CarolHaynes »

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 08:35 AM »
I have used various time DivXToDVD by VSO to do this kind of transcoding. Speed is good (a bit faster than realtime on an old system with an Athlon XP2200+). You can find it here:
http://www.vso-softw...todvd/divxtodvd2.htm

Note that there's an older version that is the last freeware one, that works very good. You can't remember a link, but you can find it Googlin around a bit.

Bye!

jpfx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:30 PM »
what carol^ said.
       |\      _,,,---,,_         
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;, 
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'    
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 03:29 AM »
I visited a friend and we created a DVD from an avi file with the latest Nero package. That has really nice feature for doing so, you can easily create your own menu, create chapters, name them, etc.

All really user-friendly and actually fun! Recoding and burning took about 3 hours on his 2,x GHz Pentium IV.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 10:18 AM »
BrotherS,
To answer your question from the Deals & Discounts thread regarding DVD Rebuilder Pro, and I'm not exactly sure why you chose this thread for me to answer you in, one would use this program when one wanted to back up a DVD9 to a DVD5 while retaining the highest quality possible without having to resort to having to process everything by hand.

It supports quite a few recoding engines such as Cinemacraft Encoder & Canopus's ProCoder. Those are quite expensive, however, so there are a couple freeware encoding engines supported such as HCEnc (which is in early beta but is really impressive) and ReJig.

Extras & menus can be eliminated entirely or compressed at a different ratio than the main feature if you would still like to keep them, but give more bandwidth to the main program. Ads, trailers, copyright warnings can be removed or shown as still-frame to save bandwidth as well.

Carol mentioned Doom9 and that's where the DVD Rebuilder Pro forum calls home. The author is very active in answering questions & very receptive to suggestions and requests.

At $29.95 with lifetime updates it's a heck of a deal. I bought when it was in beta & $10 got you lifetime updates. I feel like I stole it at that price!

susanzhai

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 02:23 AM »
Nero can also make a DVD.