topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 11:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GloryLogic, you guys suck!  (Read 18886 times)

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
GloryLogic, you guys suck!
« on: June 11, 2008, 11:15 AM »
I LOVED BurnAware Free Edition. It was lightweight, and easy to use.
I was reinstalling my computer today, and when I went to glorylogic.com I was greeted by this message.

All the rights for the BurnAware project was sold to the BurnAware Technologies company.
BurnAware Free Edition is not available!

BurnAware Express, Home and Professional editions available at official website:
www.burnaware.com

Basically, the good old BA Free, was converted into BA Express. $19.95 USD
No previous warning. Meh.

I'm converting to http://cdburnerxp.se/, but you can get the old BA Free at MajorGeeks.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GloryLogic, you guys suck!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 11:30 AM »
That does suck, scancode. Still, the real "villains" of this piece are the people that bought BurnAware, no? Though one can't blame them for wanting to turn a profit on their investment...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:04 PM »

I was reinstalling my computer today, and when I went to glorylogic.com I was greeted by this message.

All the rights for the BurnAware project was sold to the BurnAware Technologies company.
BurnAware Free Edition is not available!

Suggestion:

(It's a little late now, but going forward you might try this strategy. :two: )

I keep two folders on my backup drive called DownloadApps and InstalledApps.

I usually use Free Download Manager, and set the default receiving folder to the first. Anything that I install and wind up keeping gets copied over to the second folder. Ditto for any updates related to same. I periodically copy the whole collection over to my own personal Reinstall DVD. That way, if I need to reinstall (or get a new machine - yeah I wish!) I'm set to roll and fully protected from all those greedy SOBs that finally realized they needed to eat once a month and therefor stopped giving their work away! Can you believe the nerve of these people?

Which brings up another point. I'm a firm believer in sending a contribution to the author(s) of any software I regularly use. More to the point - I actually do send it. I do it because I think it's the right thing to do. If you're cynical, then think of it as a form of enlightened self-interest.

More and more free, share, and open software is starting to be gathered up and turned into corporate assets. If you want to keep seeing quality free stuff, start hitting that PayPal button. Five or ten bucks isn't going to break most people. More important, it will let somebody somewhere know that their work is appreciated. Because if we don't, some suit out in California eventually will.

Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest. -Mark Twain

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Suggestion:

(It's a little late now, but going forward you might try this strategy. :two: )

I keep two folders on my backup drive called DownloadApps and InstalledApps.

I save installers, but since I was using 1.0, I was looking for an updated version.

Which brings up another point. I'm a firm believer in sending a contribution to the author(s) of any software I regularly use. More to the point - I actually do send it. I do it because I think it's the right thing to do. If you're cynical, then think of it as a form of enlightened self-interest.

More and more free, share, and open software is starting to be gathered up and turned into corporate assets. If you want to keep seeing quality free stuff, start hitting that PayPal button. Five or ten bucks isn't going to break most people. More important, it will let somebody somewhere know that their work is appreciated. Because if we don't, some suit out in California eventually will.

I use freeware for one main reason. I can't afford most payware. I truly can't. Five bucks isn't going to break most people, but covers 4 schooldays for me.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:05 PM »

I use freeware for one main reason. I can't afford most payware. I truly can't. Five bucks isn't going to break most people, but covers 4 schooldays for me.

And that's a good enough reason not to. Your school experience is much more important.

I wasn't trying to single out you, or any other individual. Each of us has responsibilities and circumstances that we deal with as best we can. Been there! I've been broke a lot more often than I've been flush. And I'll probably go back and forth a few more times before I'm through. But the point I was trying to make is that we should "give back" if we can responsibly do so. Right now you're investing in yourself - which is the most responsible thing you can and should be doing.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 04:22 PM »
I wasn't trying to pick on scancoder, either (hope it didn't come across that way) - I was just trying to temper my comment with an acknowledgement that at the end of the day the people at GloryLogic needed to make some money off their code, which they did, and that the company that purchased the code must make a return on its investment. Acknowledging the other side of the argument, so to speak.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:34 PM »
I understand their position too, but going as far as deleting copies on download sites? That's not playing fair!

40hz,  ;). <irony>Stop writing in imperative</irony>.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:39 PM »
Fair comment, hang 'em out to dry, I say!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 04:49 PM »
Much as I sympathise with users who like the freeware version is there anything to actually stop a developer moving to the paid model? I don't think it is particularly immoral either. Developers are free to do what they like with their programmes - it isn't as though there is a kill code on existing installations and I'm sure some of the usual websites will keep old versions of it.

Actually lots of developers work precisely this way as a marketing strategy.

Hands up if you have ever run free pre-release software which eventually turned commercial?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Hmph! No "hands up" smiley...

Anyway, you're right Carol and yes, I've run freeware betas that have been released as shareware.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 05:32 PM »
I personally see no problem with stopping free developement of any software and starting commercial version of the application. People need to pay their bills and survive if the amount of effort they need to put into improve the software does not pay off at some point they will either stop or ask for compensation. That is why we have open source free software movement where you can download, use, donate and support. I generally try to stick to open source software for daily side job software (like compression, ftp etc)  and also I try to donate some amount every year. If you are not happy with companies that offered free software at some point, you can always find open source applications. And please make sure that you support them at least by testing out and supplying with bug reports, if you cannot afford to send some donation. Also please remember that even 1$ could be a good thank you to developer that will  show your support.

http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/
InfraRecorder is a free CD/DVD burning solution for Microsoft Windows. It offers a wide range of powerful features; all through an easy to use application interface and Windows Explorer integration.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:35 PM by kartal »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 06:05 PM »
The only burning app I use these days is imgburn. I don't really need much fancyness when I burn individual files, and it does the job pretty well.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Here are three 'hands-up' smilies (well of sorts):  :eusa_dance: :onfire: :greenclp:

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Here's a download link http://www.majorgeek...om/download5839.html

I am sure you could find more download links for BurnAware on the net.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 10:58 PM »
The only burning app I use these days is imgburn. I don't really need much fancyness when I burn individual files, and it does the job pretty well.
Me too ... Small, Fast, Clean, it's an excellent piece of software. However I never can remember to turn off the default burn complete wave and it scares the crap outa me every time.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 11:10 PM »
apart from InfraRecorder, i also use Ashampoo Burning Studio which can be gotten for free (version 6) thanks to some eagle-eyed DC members. :)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 11:16 PM »
I'm converting to http://cdburnerxp.se/, but you can get the old BA Free at MajorGeeks.
Yuk, coasters and .NET FTL.
Second here for InfraRecorder and ImgBurn.

Ehtyar.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 12:26 AM »
You could get Ashampoo Burning Studio 2008 for free. Details here.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 09:15 AM »
Here are three 'hands-up' smilies (well of sorts)  :eusa_dance: :onfire: :greenclp:
-Carol Haynes (June 11, 2008, 06:32 PM)

Yeah, I thought of those, but none of them conveyed contrition  :-[

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 12:48 AM »
I agree whole-heartedly with 40hz in that if you can afford it at all, support any freeware developers whose software you use regularly.  I always do; always have.  I understand that I have been very fortunate to be able to donate, and that some cannot do so.  Well, they cannot do so at least for a time. But everyone usually has good periods when they have a regular income; hopefully most are fair about donating.

What I imagine can get very frustrating for developers of free application is that a lot of folks demand that their software stay free, and further demand that they constantly work on bug fixes and adding the features they want.  I mean, greedy to a very large fault!  If you don't think it is that tough, take a look over at LifeHacker or even "Give Away Of The Day"!  GAOTD had a media file converter available today and you have to read the comments there - apparently the software does not yet support Vista. The user comments there are extremely bitter because of that, even though the developer posted that Vista support would be available shortly. You would think this company was run by serial killers or something from the user reactions!  "Rotten", "cheating", "idiot" are just some of the terms used.  Hey, if they really want everything exactly as they like it they could purchase any number of converters that are out there on the commercial market!  But they would rather hurl hateful crap at that developer.

And at LifeHacker whenever they run a poll of the Five Best {Name the utility app here}, free programs are always the overwhelming choices for the top spots.  As if "Free" must equal "Best" rather than "What I want". Some commenters at LifeHacker have actually "scolded" Gina Trapiani there for daring to post reviews of "PAY" applications.

If I were a developer of freeware, it wouldn't take a whole lot of that kind of "respect" by the users to convince me to go commercial!

Jim

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 08:14 AM »
What I imagine can get very frustrating for developers of free application is that a lot of folks demand that their software stay free, and further demand that they constantly work on bug fixes and adding the features they want.  I mean, greedy to a very large fault!  If you don't think it is that tough, take a look over at LifeHacker or even "Give Away Of The Day"!  GAOTD had a media file converter available today and you have to read the comments there - apparently the software does not yet support Vista. The user comments there are extremely bitter because of that, even though the developer posted that Vista support would be available shortly. You would think this company was run by serial killers or something from the user reactions!  "Rotten", "cheating", "idiot" are just some of the terms used.  Hey, if they really want everything exactly as they like it they could purchase any number of converters that are out there on the commercial market!  But they would rather hurl hateful crap at that developer.

I agree with you, some users are blatantly stupid; but this was more like when Bluebottle decided they'd be closing freemail accounts within 8 days, then closing. I mean, go commercial if you need to, but give us a warning first.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 01:02 PM »
...I agree with you, some users are blatantly stupid; but this was more like when Bluebottle decided they'd be closing freemail accounts within 8 days, then closing. I mean, go commercial if you need to, but give us a warning first.

Yeah - they got me on that also.  (Creeps!)

Jim