ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do we need a Linux and/or Mac child board?

<< < (7/7)

Darwin:
Heh, heh - looks like we need to encourage some Mac and Linux software development here! I'd support that, as I play with Linux occasionally (have a notebook I intend to turn into a dedicated linux machine, I just haven't switched it over yet) and have an iBook  :Thmbsup:

In this case, I think having separate OS pages for software downloads and for discussions of that software would make sense, but keep the forums otherwise "integrated"!

Perry Mowbray:
Not that I've visited any Linux or Mac forums (no need), but attracting and widening the DC userbase could produce greater integration and a greater diversity of thoughts, what would be detrimental is separate child boards where there was no cross fertilising. OS arguments would be super detrimental.

Adding DC's distinct flavour to multi-OS discussions would be great, and probably unique and maybe a draw card for new members.

This is definitely something to give a lot of thought to before going ahead and doing it.
-app103 (June 15, 2008, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

too right!

Daleus:
While I hate to say something that would be interpreted as being "biased against", I agree with a lot of others here that the best way to include MAC and *nix users is to *not* segregate them.

Fundamentally, any problem or solution for a computer is a problem or solution for users of all varieties of OS/hardware.  So I'd say, for discussion purposes and all of the stuff that comes *before* the coding, we should not break out into little groups that have a high potential for fracturing the community.  It's worth pointing out that I've seen little to no "camp-ism" or what others have termed fanaticism, here at DC.

Perhaps it would be worth a discussion forums for coders, once they get down to the brass tacks of coding, but even then, I see that as a method of segregation.  Like others, I'm always interested in hearing how others implement ideas on other platforms - quite often it sparks creative approaches I might have not otherwise thought of, or an exercise in Google-fu to find something new and interesting!

If you feel the need to skip less than relevant topics, we could always try a message header procedure where a simple [MAC] or [DEBIAN] or whatever style slug at the beginning of a subject line when posting, could help others winnow what they are not interested in.  But frankly, in my mind that's still a type of segregation that I think we could do without.

Cheers!

zridling:
What Daleus said, and also Dormouse: "...an increasing number of utilities are cross platform."

I changed my little "Great Software List" to reflect that trend, as I find myself using many apps that were common to both Windows and Linux (OpenOffice, Firefox, Opera, Filezilla, PGN viewers, Gimp, webware, etc.). Seems there are more topics of conversation in common among platforms than not any more. And let's face it, neither Windows nor OS X nor Linux is going away any time soon.

brotman:
Fixing a double post and pointing to a new post related to this thread in aother thread:
Please see: [ please click above link...
or maybe here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=18543.msg166243#msg166243

can anyone tell me the "proper" way to refer to a specific link in another thread (without including the entire other post here??
-brotman (June 01, 2009, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hope I (finally) got it right, this time

Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version