ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do we need a Linux and/or Mac child board?

<< < (6/7) > >>

app103:
Donationcoder is a windows-specific place, with a few users who also/exclusively use other environments.
-nontroppo (June 15, 2008, 01:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder how many people have that same impression as you, and don't feel as if they are welcome here among the windows users? Perhaps we have forum members that have never posted for such a reason.

If there was a section for non-windows users, (perhaps with it's own coding snacks area, too?) we could see more members contributing posts that never did before, and even some non-windows coding snacks requests that non-windows developers could fill.

The way I see it, adding a section for non-windows would be branching out and a step towards expanding the site into areas not really covered before.

This is definitely something to give a lot of thought to before going ahead and doing it.

Dormouse:
When I switched to Linux last fall, I cut down my visits here quite a bit because there didn't seem to be much interest in Linux around these parts. I still use XP (running in VirtualBox) for a lot of programs, but most of the little utilities I use are now Linux, not Windows and I did not think there would be much interest here in those.-rssapphire (June 14, 2008, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
I use Windows and Linux extensively, and it has always seemed to me that there is a general interest in all options on all the OSs. And, from that point of view, I do prefer not splitting into OS specific areas. And an increasing number of utilities are cross platform.

The one possible exception would be software. I think all current software is Windows based - and if there were any for other OSs it would be best in its own area. And the facility for that already seems to exist.

jgpaiva:
I think fred nerd made very good points, i also support the idea of keeping things as they are now.

Gothi[c]:
I wonder how many people have that same impression as you, and don't feel as if they are welcome here among the windows users? Perhaps we have forum members that have never posted for such a reason.

If there was a section for non-windows users, (perhaps with it's own coding snacks area, too?) we could see more members contributing posts that never did before, and even some non-windows coding snacks requests that non-windows developers could fill.

The way I see it, adding a section for non-windows would be branching out and a step towards expanding the site into areas not really covered before.

This is definitely something to give a lot of thought to before going ahead and doing it.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, app.
I agree 100000000000000% with this.

Perry Mowbray:
 :-\ Can we have both?

I'd think the general software discussions, Reviews, etc. would remain as is: i.e. mixed.

OS specific, such as Software/Coding Snacks, could be in their own area: i.e. separate.

That way, we can allow it to grow as it needs...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version