ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do we need a Linux and/or Mac child board?

<< < (5/7) > >>

rssapphire:
Just a thought.. should we add child subforums for people to discuss such software?
-mouser (June 12, 2008, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

When I switched to Linux last fall, I cut down my visits here quite a bit because there didn't seem to be much interest in Linux around these parts. I still use XP (running in VirtualBox) for a lot of programs, but most of the little utilities I use are now Linux, not Windows and I did not think there would be much interest here in those. (To be honest, the only Windows utilities I really miss are AutoHotKey and FARR.)

longrun:
No, and I certainly don't want it to lead to a longer newsletter.

wreckedcarzz:
I think it would help for things such as OS-specific computer problems, programs, tweaks or strategies, etc...but I do agree that it would most likely fragment the flow of discussion from the various people and how they use their computers, their view on things, and whatnot. How about a "trial" of it for a month to see how it goes, and if it capsizes, just toss the topics into the Living Room (or wherever they are applicable) and delete the Mac/Linux/UNIX/YourOSHere boards. Then its all back to normal, and back to the drawing board.

But I have to disagree with longrun, I love the large content overview the newsletter offers :Thmbsup:

nontroppo:
I like keeping the big happy family all in one place :Thmbsup:. Anyway if there is a Mac-specific forum, I'll just end up feeling *very* lonely  :P

Donationcoder is a windows-specific place, with a few users who also/exclusively use other environments. As I still use Windows along with OS X, I still like to read DC for windows stuff, and because DCers are such a fantastic bunch of folks and DC is such a nice place!!!. My interest in Windows has dropped dramatically since running OS X so I don't come here as much. If DC had a vibrant OS X community then I'd definately come here more, but I doubt we could grow such a community. And thus mixing perspectives from other operating systems in the mix is really the best thing to do...

Fred Nerd:
I think it is better as it is. Simply because people like me who only use windows read these mixed forums and enjoy reading "this is easier in Linux/Mac" or "this is why I haven't switched to linux yet"
it lets us see the other side of the world.

I mean, where would you put a "linux vs Win" thread? in the general area where only Gatesians would read it, or where only followers of the cute penguin would see it?

I don't really believe in multiculturalism, but I still like to see OSs discussed together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version