topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Do we need a Linux and/or Mac child board?  (Read 29444 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Do we need a Linux and/or Mac child board?
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:26 AM »
Just a thought.. should we add child subforums for people to discuss such software?

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do we need a Linux and/or Mac child board?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:39 AM »
Just a thought.. should we add child subforums for people to discuss such software?

I just assumed that https://www.donation...ndex.php?board=215.0 was for posting about Macs and all other things Apple...

But seriously, are there enough users to warrant a child board, and would those few posters on those boards miss out on community input and discussion due to smaller numbers of people seeing their threads?  For example, if someone wanted to discuss web design and they are a mac user, they may feel that they are required to post in the mac child board. They would miss out on input from users who might have a lot of ideas for mac programs in that areas, but don't visit the mac board because they are primarily pc users.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Mouser,

This forum will do fine:

https://www.donation...index.php?board=55.0

Josh

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:16 AM »
I just assumed that https://www.donation...ndex.php?board=215.0 was for posting about Macs and all other things Apple...

This forum will do fine:

https://www.donation...index.php?board=55.0

It might be an idea to do a poll to get an idea of the number of users this might appeal to... There are some pretty vocal linux (Gothic and Zaine spring to mind) and Mac (nontroppo for example) users here, so dedicated boards might not be a bad idea. Personally, I actually like having discussions about Mac and Linux integrated into the general mix.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:08 AM »
Just my two cents -

The boards categories are great when posting a new thread, but when it comes to READING threads, I always use the "Show unread posts" link.  This way it doesn't matter where it posted, I will at least see the subject line.  From this perspective, I think it is a great idea - however, if people don't read the forums this way, it will, indeed, have a high potential to isolate users who navigate the individual areas manually.

EDIT:  I also think that people who read the threads like I do may respond without noticing the area of the boards they are in, so at that point having them separate doesn't accomplish anything.  I guess all I am saying is it may help some and may hinder others.  In the end I would propose it is not really worth the effort.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:10 AM by steeladept »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:54 PM »
I'm pretty much in the same boat as steeladept... and with the relatively low volume of linux/mac topics, don't they fit in well enough in the existing subforums? Having too many subforums can be a cluttering disadvantage, we felt that heavily on the asmcommunity before cleaning up the board structure.
- carpe noctem

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 04:55 PM »
I vote against, for the selfish reason that I'm interested to see how others use their machines and OS's, what issues arise, and what solutions are found. To me this seems more meaningful in an integrated environment, such as we now enjoy-- it provides a better perspective.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 05:22 PM »

Nah, that's only for iTunes and QuickTime in Windows ;D

To me it's fine, I usually read most if not all posts in the forum, so I wouldn't mind. But I think the Mac forum could be a bit lonely :)

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 05:31 PM »
I'm all for it, as it would help attract a more varied user base.

However, if you start making a Linux board, and a Mac board, you also have to make a *BSD board, a Solaris board, a plan9 board, etc... you get the drift.

Maybe call it a non-windows board or an 'alternative OS' board or something.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 05:34 PM »
I'm all for it, as it would help attract a more varied user base.

However, if you start making a Linux board, and a Mac board, you also have to make a *BSD board, a Solaris board, a plan9 board, etc... you get the drift.

Maybe call it a non-windows board or an 'alternative OS' board or something.
Do you think a subforum would actually attract more users? At least that's not what we saw on the asmcommunity, it just fragmented the topics on the board...
- carpe noctem

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 07:17 PM »
...a plan9 board
:o Oh please for the love of Cody, NO!!
(sorry, I tried Plan9 once, WAAAY to geeky. I felt like I was trying to talk to an alien through a prison window...)

I'm with steeladept and f0dder. Though we Linux folks may be a bit vocal and/or fanatical sometimes, the fact is we live in a (mostly) windows world and are going to be affected by what happens there (besides, I use XP at work...).
The DC forum is the first website I fire up when I come to work in the morning to get the juices flowing, and having my "own" part of the forum to come to would feel almost racist.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:04 PM »
I am very weary of fracturing/fragmenting attention.. I think it's nicer when we have a larger common area.
So I guess the consensus is to leave things as they are for now and just welcome linux+mac people to post in existing sections.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 06:46 AM »
sorry, I tried Plan9 once, WAAAY to geeky.

:huh: I thought we were all about being geeky.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 10:37 AM »
I am very weary of fracturing/fragmenting attention.. I think it's nicer when we have a larger common area.

I'm a big supporter of NIX in all its incarnations. But I really do think you're correct when you say it's nicer having a big common area. I've discovered quite a few things in the Living Room that I probably would have missed if they were off in their own separate spaces.

yotta

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 04:22 PM »
i think im against:
although it would be easier for people specifically wanting to talk about these os's it wouldnt be useful for people wishing to hear about all, and it would cause alot of seperation

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 06:29 PM »

Well, sure... geeky is good; Barely usable is not...  ;D
Trying out the Plan9 LiveCD was about as joy-inspiring as partitioning an OS/2 install  :hanged:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Just by looking at the screenshot, my head spins :huh:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 06:34 PM by Lashiec »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 12:07 AM »
I'd say no we don't need to add Linux/Mac child boards for the very reason Darwin mentioned — I've been grateful for the reception (and patience) DC members have shown my Linux topic posts. Because of you guys, I see the larger picture now; that is, use what you want as long as you don't come back and tell me I'm stupid for not using the same software you are currently using. Besides, I enjoy other perspectives on everything. I haven't used Macs except for playing with friends' machines, but that doesn't mean I don't like reading about them.

Simple.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 11:49 AM »

Well, sure... geeky is good; Barely usable is not...  ;D
Trying out the Plan9 LiveCD was about as joy-inspiring as partitioning an OS/2 install  :hanged:

OS/2 partitioning was EASY.  Had a nice triple boot system running.. OS/2, Win95 and Slackware... ahh memories.
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 11:50 AM »
I like the idea of a dedicated Linux (or Other OS) Discussion area.    Child board?  Probably not.
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 07:46 PM »

When I switched to Linux last fall, I cut down my visits here quite a bit because there didn't seem to be much interest in Linux around these parts. I still use XP (running in VirtualBox) for a lot of programs, but most of the little utilities I use are now Linux, not Windows and I did not think there would be much interest here in those. (To be honest, the only Windows utilities I really miss are AutoHotKey and FARR.)
RetroRoleplaying -- Tabletop Roleplaying Games Before D20
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 09:02 PM »
No, and I certainly don't want it to lead to a longer newsletter.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 12:01 AM »
I think it would help for things such as OS-specific computer problems, programs, tweaks or strategies, etc...but I do agree that it would most likely fragment the flow of discussion from the various people and how they use their computers, their view on things, and whatnot. How about a "trial" of it for a month to see how it goes, and if it capsizes, just toss the topics into the Living Room (or wherever they are applicable) and delete the Mac/Linux/UNIX/YourOSHere boards. Then its all back to normal, and back to the drawing board.

But I have to disagree with longrun, I love the large content overview the newsletter offers :Thmbsup:

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 01:00 AM »
I like keeping the big happy family all in one place :Thmbsup:. Anyway if there is a Mac-specific forum, I'll just end up feeling *very* lonely  :P

Donationcoder is a windows-specific place, with a few users who also/exclusively use other environments. As I still use Windows along with OS X, I still like to read DC for windows stuff, and because DCers are such a fantastic bunch of folks and DC is such a nice place!!!. My interest in Windows has dropped dramatically since running OS X so I don't come here as much. If DC had a vibrant OS X community then I'd definately come here more, but I doubt we could grow such a community. And thus mixing perspectives from other operating systems in the mix is really the best thing to do...
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 05:17 AM »
I think it is better as it is. Simply because people like me who only use windows read these mixed forums and enjoy reading "this is easier in Linux/Mac" or "this is why I haven't switched to linux yet"
it lets us see the other side of the world.

I mean, where would you put a "linux vs Win" thread? in the general area where only Gatesians would read it, or where only followers of the cute penguin would see it?

I don't really believe in multiculturalism, but I still like to see OSs discussed together.