ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Opera 9.5

<< < (7/14) > >>

J-Mac:
I had already seen that browser speed test at LifeHacker.  Though it is difficult to compare browsers, the tester did a pretty thorough job, actually.  Did about as much as he could to "normalize" the test across all tested browsers.  Plus, his results pretty much mirror my experience!  (Which is subjective, as is everyone's here on browser speed!)

Actually he gave Firefox a big break by using a "clean" version without any extensions.  And not many users have zero extensions installed!

Jim

J-Mac:
BTW, I just installed Opera 9.5 again, but with the Classic Installer so I could leave the existing one alone and install it this time to a custom folder.

Working well now!

Thanks!

Jim

jgpaiva:
I think there's something interesting in that test: the memory use of ff RC3. I had already read they had improved the thing, but i had no idea it got that much better.
(not that memory use makes that much differece nowadays, though ;) )

MerleOne:
I have been a long time user of Opera.  I recently updated to 9.5, but one one PC, it crashes as soon as I right click on a page.  And it is not that easy to revert to the previous version (9.27) since some data files (mail related) are modified by the installation.  I had to use a full backup of the program folder to have 9.27 work again.  On other machines, it has problems with Metaproducts Inquiry : the right click menu item used to save a page is no longer working.  Hopefully Metraproducts will find a fix soon.

For the moment I rely a lot on K-Meleon, a trimmed-down version of Mozilla which is surprisingly fast.  Maybe as fast as Opera.

dantheman:
K-Meleon is good if you still have to run Win98.
Firefox3 no longer supports it.  :down:

On my XP Home SP2, Opera 9.5 has shown to be quicker than Firefox3 at startup and page rendering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version