topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Opera 9.5  (Read 42306 times)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opera 9.5
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Speed Testing the Latest Web Browsers

FF did not come first in any single speed test!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 11:31 PM »
Just upgraded from Opera 9.27 to 9.5.  Crashed about 5 minutes after starting up the new version.  Restarted it but now it crashes before it even loads! As soon as I click on the icon the Windows dialog announcing "Opera Internet Browser has encountered a problem and needs to close." appears.  Opera 9.5 never does get loaded now.

Any ideas?  (This has never happened to me with Opera before).

Jim

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 11:38 PM »
Phil: There is a problem with tests conducted by these groups, they are not indicative of real world results. As was stated earlier, real world browsing cannot be accurately measured due to numerous hurdles and issues not taken into account with speed testing.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 11:58 PM »
Got to say I've long loved Opera because of its broad customizability. That's more true than ever. Moreover, like FF, I can take every piece of it with me between Linux and Windows. Sites that Opera doesn't render, i.e., "IE-only," I merely don't visit. And while I'll admit that Roboform is fantastic, Opera's Wand remembers all, and is by far the simpler device to manage, not to mention one less piece of software I need to install/upgrade.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 12:21 AM »
I really dont consider the wand simpler given that opera has prevented you from EDITING passwords. Again, this is overdoing it on the "Protect the user from themselves" mentality that opera has given web browsing. Their browser is fantastic, I love it to death, but I cannot use it full time as roboform is just one of many tools I have sunk money into that I am not willing to blow away on inferior implementations of similar features.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 01:28 AM »
I had already seen that browser speed test at LifeHacker.  Though it is difficult to compare browsers, the tester did a pretty thorough job, actually.  Did about as much as he could to "normalize" the test across all tested browsers.  Plus, his results pretty much mirror my experience!  (Which is subjective, as is everyone's here on browser speed!)

Actually he gave Firefox a big break by using a "clean" version without any extensions.  And not many users have zero extensions installed!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 02:18 AM »
BTW, I just installed Opera 9.5 again, but with the Classic Installer so I could leave the existing one alone and install it this time to a custom folder.

Working well now!

Thanks!

Jim

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 04:42 AM »
I think there's something interesting in that test: the memory use of ff RC3. I had already read they had improved the thing, but i had no idea it got that much better.
(not that memory use makes that much differece nowadays, though ;) )

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 10:37 AM »
I have been a long time user of Opera.  I recently updated to 9.5, but one one PC, it crashes as soon as I right click on a page.  And it is not that easy to revert to the previous version (9.27) since some data files (mail related) are modified by the installation.  I had to use a full backup of the program folder to have 9.27 work again.  On other machines, it has problems with Metaproducts Inquiry : the right click menu item used to save a page is no longer working.  Hopefully Metraproducts will find a fix soon.

For the moment I rely a lot on K-Meleon, a trimmed-down version of Mozilla which is surprisingly fast.  Maybe as fast as Opera.
.merle1.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 12:35 PM »
K-Meleon is good if you still have to run Win98.
Firefox3 no longer supports it.  :down:

On my XP Home SP2, Opera 9.5 has shown to be quicker than Firefox3 at startup and page rendering.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 06:58 PM »
I really dont consider the wand simpler given that opera has prevented you from EDITING passwords. Again, this is overdoing it on the "Protect the user from themselves" mentality that opera has given web browsing.

Yeah, that's something they really need to fix, it's not the first time I had to change my password because of the page security requirements, and deleting and creating a new one it's not exactly the cleanest way, but it works. Then again, I don't think it's too wise to use the browser password manager, because most people use various browsers (or at least Firefox and IE), and a separate password manager is more appropriate, not only for cross-browser compatibility, but also flexibility and power.

BTW, Josh, DO NOT write a single post more, you're leet, man ;)

I have been a long time user of Opera.  I recently updated to 9.5, but one one PC, it crashes as soon as I right click on a page.  And it is not that easy to revert to the previous version (9.27) since some data files (mail related) are modified by the installation.  I had to use a full backup of the program folder to have 9.27 work again.

Being very accustomed to the huge stability of Opera, I should say that the new version is still a bit rough regarding that, as I said before. The benefits outweigh the defects, but I can't stop wondering if maybe it needed a few more time in the oven. Then again, some of the bugs are pretty obvious at first, so I guess it's not exactly a matter of rushing the program out, mostly because some things can't be broken so badly between a RC and a final version. Maybe the beta testers were lazy :D

On other machines, it has problems with Metaproducts Inquiry : the right click menu item used to save a page is no longer working.  Hopefully Metraproducts will find a fix soon.

Maybe it's because some internal changes in the menu structure in Opera, so hopefully it will be fixed right away.

K-Meleon is good if you still have to run Win98.
Firefox3 no longer supports it.  :down:

Yeah, that's because the graphics library they use in Firefox 3 (Cairo) only supports Windows 2000 and up. Don't know what's the technical reason behind that, but then again Windows 98 is not that secure to surf the Internet these days. And you can always use the rest of the browsers... like Opera :)

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2008, 10:45 PM »
Lashiec, my posts have nothing to do with being "leet". I could care less what people think about me. My problem is opera and its continued thumbing at accepted practices on the web and their "The way we do it is the only way" mentality. Opera 9.5 is unstable, memory hungry on various sites, and has various glaring issues. All one has to do is read the comments on the opera blog to see that this was simply rushed out in order to compete with firefox 3, which this CANNOT do.

Read here: http://my.opera.com/...available?startidx=1

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 08:03 AM »
Lashiec, my posts have nothing to do with being "leet". I could care less what people think about me.

Errr, I was calling you leet because you had 1337 posts ;D

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 08:50 AM »
oh, I am an idiot. Its ok, everyone knows I am slow :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 01:01 PM »
Awww..    8)

I wasn't sure how that was meant either, Josh.  but I know that I have never seen Lashiec throw an insult at anyone here, so I figured he meant it in the best way!   :)

Jim

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Is it just me or do some of you have the same experience: since build 9.5 10071 and still in 10074 I sometimes cannot log in DC forum (it say the password is incorrect and works only on second or third attempt) and cannot post a reply (with time out error). I have to post this via IE7.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 12:54 PM »
I had to revert to opera 9.50, problems with images not loading in pages just made it unnusable :(
[edit] Nevermind, i'm an idiot. I somehow selected the "only show cached images" option. Can you believe i've had this problem for 3 days and that didn't occuor me? [/edit]

PS: opera 9.51 RC2 is out!!  :Thmbsup:

[edit2] no, apparently i'm not the stupid one. for some reason, after upgrading, opera reverts to that stupid "show only cached images" option!!  :huh: :huh: :huh: [/edit2]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:03 PM by jgpaiva »

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 04:17 PM »
PS: opera 9.51 RC2 is out!!  :Thmbsup:

Thanks, but after installing this build I cannot log in to DC forum anymore. Time has come to leave Opera, I suppose...

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 05:26 PM »
I just installed it over previous build.
Can login no problem but isn't the wand supposed to remember the p.w. for me?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 05:28 PM »
dan: had you previously saved the password?

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 05:42 PM »
dan: had you previously saved the password?

Good point!
It's a problem when you dab with more than one browser.
I did however have a problem with my.opera.com not keeping my p.w. in the last builds.
Had to login every time. Seems to be okay now.

Did a quick restart just to make sure Opera kept my DCF p.w. & login and it's okay too.

Now if Opera can only fix the panel icons position.
It's a bug that has been reported three builds ago.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2008, 05:42 AM »
Thanks for your replies. So it's just me. I tried to delete wand.dat file, but to no avail. Strange is that other forums work okay. Also, this problem appeared a couple of betas ago and then disappeared. I'll wait for the final release and give Opera one more chance with a clean install.

In the meantime I'm using IE7pro, which is approaching Opera's feature set and I'm coming closer to a conclusion that all those unique Opera's features are not worth the effort put in its maintenance and always updating and reinstalling.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 09:24 AM »
In the meantime I'm using IE7pro, which is approaching Opera's feature set and I'm coming closer to a conclusion that all those unique Opera's features are not worth the effort put in its maintenance and always updating and reinstalling.

I too have had problems with Opera, recently with Flash which suddenly stopped working. Luckily I still had Opera 9.27 Portable installed. I upgraded that to Opera 9.50 portable and have had no problems since. I think that its best to stick to portable versions of Opera as they tend to give lesser problems. If something goes wrong, you can always delete the folder and not suffer registry corruption or having to manually clear out the Application Data folder.

I recommend getting this version as it still stores details of the surfed session to the same folder, so you can restore closed windows upon restart, just like a installed version.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 02:05 PM »
Thanks, but after installing this build I cannot log in to DC forum anymore. Time has come to leave Opera, I suppose...

That's because of the intelligence built into Opera, if a page is not good enough for the browser, it does not let you access it :P

Nah, seriously, I advise to either stick with the stable version, or install the beta builds in another directory. Also, it would be a good idea to report the problem to their bugtracker, or if you feel brave enough, use the Opera Desktop Team blog comment system, or the Opera forums.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 02:07 PM by Lashiec »

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 05:13 PM »
I advise to either stick with the stable version, or install the beta builds in another directory.
That's what I'm trying to avoid--losing all the history and bookmarks every week? I'm not that devoted to Opera...

Also, it would be a good idea to report the problem to their bugtracker, or if you feel brave enough, use the Opera Desktop Team blog comment system, or the Opera forums.
Certainly not. That's why I asked DC members to verify if it's only me. And yes, it's only me, so I'm pretty sure they won't care. Also, it applies to DC forum solely, so I can tell you what the reply would be: Let the DC forum guys correct theirs pages!

Regarding the Opera forum: I used to write there several times, but I've never receive any valid answer, if you don't count ironic, arogant and sarcastic comments. This is a "normal" forum, not even remotely resembling the constructive atmosphere here at the DC.