topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Rightnote, commercial alternative to abandonware Keynote  (Read 44084 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am testing it  and it  works very nice so far. They seem to get it right as far as referencing the original Keynote goes.

http://www.bauerapps.com/

"RightNote is a multi-page notebook that allows you to store and organise an unlimited number of notes. With RightNote you'll know where to store all those little bits of information and find them too. Features word processing, spreadsheet and syntax highlighting type notes."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:06 AM by kartal »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Commercial alternative to abandonware Keynote
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 11:41 PM »
Looks interesting kartal, have you had an opportunity to try the synchronising?  That would make it almost ideal for me if that works well, i will give it a go later if you haven't tried it.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Rightnote, commercial alternative to abandonware Keynote
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:06 AM »
I do not think Rightnote has syncing?

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:26 AM »
oh dear, i was sure i saw it there, but i go and look again and i see nothing about it  :-[ , oh well, still it looks nice and the price is good just at the moment too.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 04:52 AM »
I think synching might refer to the purpose of their other product, Compare Advance.  They haven't laid out their Web page clearly enough.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 05:27 AM »
What advantages above free SEO Note does it have?
Judging from the site: fancy look only (but I might be wrong).

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 05:53 AM »
What advantages above free SEO Note does it have?
Judging from the site: fancy look only (but I might be wrong).
-fenixproductions (June 13, 2008, 05:27 AM)

Does SEO have a spreadsheet module?
accounts.pngRightnote, commercial alternative to abandonware Keynote

They may be using an Excel object, as it supports Excel Functions (Don't know if it's all of them: that would be pretty powerful  :-\) + Export to xls format.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 06:19 AM »
2Perry Mowbray
You've got a point. I've took a look and the only thing left to complain is its "fancyness" ;)
It was hard to know what tab I am in.

Nice finding after all.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Well, if you have used Keynote in the past and was not happy about the fact that Keynote has turned abandonware, then Rightnote could be for you.

For example Keynote and Rightnote have virtual notes. Virtual notes are pretty much imported(or dragged and dropped) text based files that you can edit outside of the Rightnote and will be updated inside Rightnote.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 09:52 AM by kartal »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 11:13 AM »
SEO note has alot of advanced functionality.  It is nicely done free application

But here what I did not like about it

-No real file drag and drop functionalty. Dragging into SEO forces to create a new database
-There is no multiple file imports at once. There is folder import but folder import does not import contents of the folders.
-No unicode support in the editor. What is funny is that the tree seems to support unicode but not the editor. At least the text files I have imported did not show words properly due to different character set.
-Password protection did not seem to work.
-No node dragging and dropping. Keynote-Rightnote allows you to drag and drop your nodes-notes inside the tree. This is only supported via keyboard shortcuts like shift right-left This is very handy feature for organizing.

If unicode is not important for you and you use only english to collect notes and organize SEO is definetely a very good find.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:21 AM by kartal »

tymrwt33

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 11:20 PM »
What can you do with above mentioned products that you cannot do in EverNote?.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 11:51 PM »

I decided there was nothing, so I have gone back to just using evernote, its easy, it works, and its so easy to synchronize.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Thanks for pointing RightNote out.  I am quickly liking what I am seeing.  It is absolutely out to replace the greatness that Keynote was, and doing so at a rapid pace. I am a couple simple features away from buying & recommending this to others.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 11:11 PM »
KeyNote is alive... see this post for details.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Many thanks to kartal for bringing Rightnote to my attention. I've been trying to find a Evernote replacement for the last few days, and now this one is one of my top candidates, though more testing is needed. (Its unicode support isn't complete yet, so I'm weary.)

With Rightnote I can do tables and spreadsheets, for example. Don't get me wrong, there are many things Evernote can do that others don't. This is a category that really no one does them all. 2+ years after SuperboyAC did the wonderful note-taker review (which I revisited many times lately ... ah, must make a donation), I found myself still wondering from one to another, liking a bit of each. It's not just the features they have are different. The ways they implement those features also matter.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Many thanks to kartal for bringing Rightnote to my attention. I've been trying to find a Evernote replacement for the last few days, and now this one is one of my top candidates, though more testing is needed. (Its unicode support isn't complete yet, so I'm weary.)

With Rightnote I can do tables and spreadsheets, for example. Don't get me wrong, there are many things Evernote can do that others don't. This is a category that really no one does them all. 2+ years after SuperboyAC did the wonderful note-taker review (which I revisited many times lately ... ah, must make a donation), I found myself still wondering from one to another, liking a bit of each. It's not just the features they have are different. The ways they implement those features also matter.
I feel the same way.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Tried ResophNotes? I like it a lot.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 01:12 PM »
I just bought RightNote today.  It is currently my preferred information manager.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 03:10 PM »
I just bought RightNote today.  It is currently my preferred information manager.
What about all the information you've saved in other programs?  Just have to guess what is where?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 04:10 PM »
I just bought RightNote today.  It is currently my preferred information manager.
What about all the information you've saved in other programs?  Just have to guess what is where?
Well, i haven't really committed to one program yet, but I'm going to start with this one.  What I'm doing now is I have an area in the RN notebook where I bring all my other notes into, and then I'll re-file them from there.  I don't need all my notes from other programs urgently, so unless I miss it, I'm going to leave it alone.  I was able to bring in my old evernote notes with some fiddling (Evernote's restriction's, not RightNote).  So I had a bunch of stuff in Evernote that I brought in.  All the other ones: keynote, onenote, mybase, cintanotes...I'm leaving those alone right now.  I haven't had to go back to 99% of them ever anyway.  However, I have a ton of stuff in InfoQube that I'm not going to bring in because InfoQube's notes are very different that a regular notetaking application like RightNote.  IQ is more of a database/spreadsheet thing and the data inside is a lot more complicated.  Like, I have "interactive" data in Infoqube that is pretty sophisticated: my transcript is in there, with unit and GPA calculations that Pierre helped me with, I have Armando's project management database in there (with addressbooks, task items, and grids linking to each other), I have artist/album libraries in there.  There's no way RightNote can handle stuff like that.  I never used IQ as a general note collector really.

So based on that, my current information management is relying on Rightnote for general notes, CHS for collecting anything I copy, and IQ for sophisticated organizing and complex structuring.  And I'm not sure I would want to combine the features of either of them with another...I've learned to let that go.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Seeing as superboyAC liked it (our tastes are very similar) I downloaded RightNote and gave it a pretty thorough workout today. I like it enough I think I'll buy it and start moving stuff over.

I just wish they'd do a browser (FF or Opera) plugin for it that worked like Canaware NetNotes used to work before Mozilla broke it for the 5th time.

They can do clips. But it's not the same as tossing an entire webpage into it with a single right click.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Just as I am finally happy with one thing (TreeProjects) you guys keep posting about RightNote  >:(

;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Seeing as superboyAC liked it (our tastes are very similar) I downloaded RightNote and gave it a pretty thorough workout today. I like it enough I think I'll buy it and start moving stuff over.

I just wish they'd do a browser (FF or Opera) plugin for it that worked like Canaware NetNotes used to work before Mozilla broke it for the 5th time.

They can do clips. But it's not the same as tossing an entire webpage into it with a single right click.

Sweet!  The RightNote developer seems to be open to suggestions, we should suggest this to them.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Just as I am finally happy with one thing (TreeProjects) you guys keep posting about RightNote  >:(

;D

Yeah. Same thing happens to me with music gear.
Every time I put a moratorium on instrument purchases, Eastwood Guitars puts out another one of their bizzaro ugly ducklings  I suddenly decide I really really want.

;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 08:01 PM »

Sweet!  The RightNote developer seems to be open to suggestions, we should suggest this to them.

Cool! I'm gonna send that off to them tonight. I'm very annoyed Canaware no longer works reliably with FF.