ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rightnote, commercial alternative to abandonware Keynote

<< < (7/8) > >>

nosh:
Have any of you looked at TreeDBNotes Pro?
--- End quote ---

I tried it briefly today. I've been looking for something to replace Winorganizer forever. It has a heck of a lot of features, for sure. I wouldn't call it slow but it felt slightly clunky compared to Winorganizer.

I didn't like the global search since I expected it to search everything in the file (eg: contacts too), not just search the notes. Am I missing something?

Also, does it have its own spreadsheet feature? I tried it v.briefly so could have missed it.

If I had to choose between TreeDBNotes Pro and Rightnote, I'd pick the former... it suits my requirements more closely.

I tend to be wary about programs that like to bundle everything and the kitchen sink and I can see this happening with TreeDBNotes Pro. They already have a LOT going on and the interface could be more intuitive. Still, it's the best alternative to Winorganizer I've come across (and I've tried quite a few apps), so thanks for mentioning it.

Curt:
(deleted)

TaoPhoenix:

"I tend to be wary about programs that like to bundle everything and the kitchen sink and I can see this happening with TreeDBNotes Pro. They already have a LOT going on and the interface could be more intuitive. Still, it's the best alternative to Winorganizer I've come across (and I've tried quite a few apps), so thanks for mentioning it."

It's a tough call. If you can indeed bundle "everything" and hit the slam dunk/home run, then you become the market leader or at least a top-5. I don't think I see a spreadsheet "module" but then, I tend to think of spreadsheets as something for Excel and LibreOffice to deal with, not a note app. (Though I can certainly see how an integrated table would be nice!) In a way you have two different comments going on - "distrusting bundling everything" yet you chanced on something they chose not to get into. Softwares go through "cultures" so their feature set must have been what their specific users and/or developers wanted most.

Sure, the interface has some quirks. But overall it's also important that there is a "completeness" of features. TreeDB has a few good ones that include keyboard shortcuts to move nodes around, etc. They misbehave a wee bit, but not bad.

My overall message is if you have 3 programs fighting each other for your next use, what is the 1-2 drop dead must-have features that simply shut everything else out of the picture? For me it was that web ebook creator, and some of the importing, and lesser, some of the node handling. If you get too simple with a program you risk a kind of "data lock in" that the minute you want an advanced feature you didn't think of 3 months ago, you're hosed.

nosh:
Fair points, TaoPhoenix. Yes, softwares get their features through their developers and user communities.  :)

My concern is, if today there are quirks showing up in areas that aren't significant, it shakes my faith in the quality of the development. I don't want a quirk showing up tomorrow that directly affects the data because the devs are juggling a bit more than they can handle. Robustness is critical, esp. considering the kind of data a program of this nature is meant to handle.

TaoPhoenix:
Fair points, TaoPhoenix. Yes, softwares get their features through their developers and user communities.  :)

My concern is, if today there are quirks showing up in areas that aren't significant, it shakes my faith in the quality of the development. I don't want a quirk showing up tomorrow that directly affects the data because the devs are juggling a bit more than they can handle. Robustness is critical, esp. considering the kind of data a program of this nature is meant to handle.
-nosh (April 12, 2012, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

A good strategy for Shareware or even Freeware is "What bugs are on outlying features" and "what bugs are on core function?".  I am satisfied with the basic saving and loading and processing and exporting of my data. Properly done an edge feature shouldn't statistically correlate to a mission critical disaster in the core code. I believe that's a profound concept to work over. So even if Firefox botches a VLC file it's still going to serve html pages.

Edit: We're moving off the model of "100 pure code" because it looks like you're doing nothing forever. The new model is Basic Code + 3 Beta Addons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version