topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any Software that would record the Activity in a PC !  (Read 12557 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any Software that would record the Activity in a PC !
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:21 AM »
     Hello ,
                 i am looking for such kind of software that at the Startup of Windows, would record everything i.e., the folder i browsed through
            the program i installed, uninstalled, the site i visited, the amount of time the PC was ON and Switched off. It can be freeware as well as any Commercial  program. 

Lately my PC is being used by friends and, during that time: BSOD occcured at least 5 times a day, although i re-inserted the RAM and IDE snug at its place and that event hasn't taken place, but sometimes a small  bip.... can be heard and the PC stalls : at this time the running program stops responding, then i have to go for a hard reset.

It could be a hardware failure, not to mention this is only 6 months old PC, and i wouldn't know who have done something stupid with the PC configuration ,  hence i was thinking may be a program would run in the background and keep track of all the activities ,  no matter who ever is sitting in front of the PC.

Any suggestion is welcomed.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any Software that would record the Activity in a PC !
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:39 AM »
Have you looked into key-loggers? I'm sure something in that area would have comprehensive recording.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Try these gems from Nirsoft :

Opened files view
My event viewer

You would have to add them to your Start folder.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:51 AM by joiwind »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:30 AM »
OP, if you use some of the command-line switches with Nirsoft's "Opened files view", you can have activity logged to a specific text file that you can later review, after "friends" have been on your computer.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Set up a separate user account for your friends with limited privileges.
It won't prevent every problem guests can cause. But it will prevent most of them.  ;D

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 01:47 PM »
I have REFOG keylogger running on my PC 24x7. I _am_ nice enough to give my friends a heads-up when they login to their email/whatnot from my machine, though. ;D

It's much more than a simple keystroke recorder but AFAICT it's extremely light on resources. If you're looking for thorough monitoring, you should check it out. The only PITA is, it's always flagged as malware by Malwarebytes, no matter how often I ask it to ignore it. And REFOG breaks up its logs into several tiny files, so I have to individually mark each file as safe.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:50 AM »
+1 to 40hz idea as it's always best to avoid disaster(s).

Lately my PC is being used by friends and, during that time: BSOD occcured at least 5 times a day, although i re-inserted the RAM and IDE snug at its place and that event hasn't taken place, but sometimes a small  bip.... can be heard and the PC stalls : at this time the running program stops responding, then i have to go for a hard reset.

Why not cut to the chase and rule out a hardware issue. Is there anything regarding the BSOD in the logs? If not, that tends to be power. Also there aren't a lot of things in a computer that can make (a bip - or any other) noise. That too brings power into question.

If it's 6mo old, the warranty isn't long for this world. Get the manufacturer on the phone and see if they'll send you some nice new test parts.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:43 AM »
Try these gems from Nirsoft :

Opened files view
My event viewer

You would have to add them to your Start folder.

I never found a way to use programs from Nirsoft    OpenedFilesView v1.52 was a total NO.NO... for me , as for MyEventViewer v1.62 was the same for me.    Have anyone found any niche in this program,,,,,,,,quite simple,,,,,,but  no idea how to use it. Not a proper Tutorial material.....

I have REFOG keylogger running on my PC 24x7. I _am_ nice enough to give my friends a heads-up when they login to their email/whatnot from my machine, though. ;D

It's much more than a simple keystroke recorder but AFAICT it's extremely light on resources. If you're looking for thorough monitoring, you should check it out. The only PITA is, it's always flagged as malware by Malwarebytes, no matter how often I ask it to ignore it. And REFOG breaks up its logs into several tiny files, so I have to individually mark each file as safe.

Thanks man, REFOGF was very promising but like same here, i have Norton Antivirus 2010, which contineously detects Refog (Freeware) as a threat, i think as a Backdoor Trojan, when i scan the setup installer file: its clean and sometimes the Norton Sonar threat detects contineously.

Actually i want to know who copies and paste some junk in my PC, and whatg crap are being installed:  while i am using Ditto as a Clipboard manager, which thankfully details the item being copied only........ if their were a clipboard manager that would detail the copied and pasted item, that would be great.
         I am only going for freeware, i would give  Fefog Freeware another try and make an exclusion for this program, as it directly installs on c:\windows\system32\....    That was a new thing for me..........

ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 10:16 AM »
If it's just file creation/modification you want to monitor, you could use a disk monitor.

DiskPulse
http://www.diskpulse.com/

Moo0 FileMonitor
http://www.moo0.com/...oftware/FileMonitor/

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 05:15 PM »
If you don't like NirSoft apps or others suggested here, then maybe this would help : What changed ?

Or this : Diskhash file compare tool ?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:20 PM by joiwind »

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 08:55 AM »
Loot at ManicTime
http://www.manictime.com/

You can open up the command prompt, and type below:

systeminfo

and hit Enter. You should be able to see the computer running time, which stated as uptime

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 10:25 AM »
Loot at ManicTime
http://www.manictime.com/

You can open up the command prompt, and type below:

systeminfo

and hit Enter. You should be able to see the computer running time, which stated as uptime

You don't need ManicTime to use the command 'SYSTEMINFO' in the command prompt. It is a default command in Windows. ManicTime is handy to see which application(s) have ran.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Hey, guys, you are just kidding your friends or do other things with keylogger?
I mostly use a windows 7 keylogger to monitor my child, because he is so young.

They do have a legitimate use. However, they are very open to abuse. Kind of like sledgehammers. :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 05:03 PM »
I am very interested in this, please post more stuff, thanks

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Consider System Explorer for some help.  Just go in the options and set the history to record to a file, it saves a time stamped text file with events, program start and end, network connection (tcp) start and end.  I have used this many times to troubleshoot what is happening on a workstation or server.  http://www.systemexplorer.net
vi vi vi - editor of the beast