ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Take Command v9 New $20 off, Upgrade $10 off,TC/LE $10 off

<< < (3/7) > >>

Darwin:
Well... just installed the trial again, shutdown all running applications, and clicked on the default icon that I allowed the installer to place in my Quick Start area (labeled Take Command 9). I did this three times and found that it takes about a second for the nag screen to appear. Once that counts down and gives me the option of continuing the trial, it takes 8 to 11 seconds from clicking "Continue" to having the GUI opening up with a TC tab available. Quickest load time was the second one and the slowest the third! I hadn't started any programmes in the interim. Just did it again with this window (Maxthon 2 with five tabs open) and a Dopus 9 window open and TCC 9 took 9 seconds to load after the "continue" trial button was clicked.

Running 4NT.exe from within the JPSOFT/TCC9 folder under Program Files opens 4NT instantly (no nag screen, either, whereas TCC pops up that nag screen each and every time)... Crap, I'd forgotten how much I like 4NT! (Note that 4NT opens instantly every time, including just now with Dopus, Maxthon AND TCC9 open).

A nice touch: I right clicked to see the context menu and, in 4NT, it automatically pasted the content of my clipboard, which happened to be a web address (XYplorer forum for those who must know). I hit enter and my browser opened to the page. Neither PromptPal nor PowerCMD do this (I'd never tested it before, though I know earlier versions of TC and 4NT will do this as well). Interesting that going through the same steps with TCC9 varies in that I have to select "Paste" from the context menu, but otherwise the behaviour is the same. Disabling "Quick Edit" and "Insert" in 4NT's Properties dialogue (Options tab) reverts 4NT to presenting a context menu when right clicking within the window. With the Quick Edit feature enabled right clicking within the window pastes content and right clicking on the programme's title bar presents the context menu.

For my needs, all I've ever really looked for in a command line tool is the ability to do things like paste the contents of my clipboard at the cmd prompt (I can't believe MS didn't allow this in Windows command line through XP - no idea about Vista. At least it's available in PowerShell), so I've not really used the underlying power of TC/4NT... Not sure I want to spend the money to upgrade to version 9, but I think I'll reinstall 4NT 8! I'd been seduced by the availability of the tabbed interface when I upgraded to the bundle for version 8 and for some reason hadn't linked the slowdown in opening it to that...  :o :-[ Thinking back I probably used the tabs a total of two or three times, so no pressing need for it.

Hmm... the dialogues and context menus presented in 4NT 9 are the same as in Powershell. Interesting. I'll have play around with the two side by side...

mwb1100:
For my needs, all I've ever really looked for in a command line tool is the ability to do things like paste the contents of my clipboard at the cmd prompt (I can't believe MS didn't allow this in Windows command line through XP - no idea about Vista. At least it's available in PowerShell)
-Darwin (June 12, 2008, 09:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

A mouse right-click will paste in cmd.exe, but you have to have the "QuickEdit Mode" option selected in the Command Prompt Properties (it's on the Options tab) selected.  That option has been available since at least Win2K, but was off by default then.  I thought that the option was on by default in WinXP, but I could be wrong.

What you get with QuickEdit mode:

* left mouse click lets you select text by dragging
* right mouse click copies to the clipboard if there's a selection, otherwise it pastes what's in the clipboard

myarmor:
Darwin, try to run a command with several parameters, then try to use Ctrl+0-9..
It's somewhat nice in that it inserts the parameters from the previous commands..

Shift + arrows to select, Ctrl+Y copies the commandline, Ctrl+v pastes, these can be redefined,
and lots of other shortcuts.

It seems you did the same as me, I went ahead a somewhat long time ago and got DOpus and 4NT myself.  :)
Btw, the newest versions of DOpus9 will use TCC/4NT for Ms-dos batch functions if you set comspec environment variable to
the full filepath of tcc.exe or 4nt.exe.

Oh, and regular expressions in dir,copy etc is a nice touch.. , not to mention the batch extensions,
in addition to supporting active scripting etc.

and something like this (download ftp rfc's from ftp.sunet.se if and only if all exists) in a batch file:
@echo off
iftp /P ftp://ftp.sunet.se
cd ftp:/pub/Internet-documents/rfc
iff exist ftp:rfc959.txt .and. exist ftp:rfc1579.txt .and. exist ftp:rfc2151.txt then
   echo Filesize of rfc959.txt is %@filesize[ftp:rfc959.txt]
   copy ftp:rfc959.txt;rfc1579.txt;rfc2151.txt c:\tmp\
else
   echo Some of the files to copy were missing.. skipping.
endiff
iftp /c

you can also do this:
copy https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=13646.0#quickreply c:\tmp\qrep.htm

everything above is internal commands. :) the ftp functions is only available in non-LE version.
-- hrmf, the forum truncates the display of urls..

Darwin:
Just an update: on my new Vista notebook with 3GB RAM, Take Command Console 9 opens INSTANTLY. There's obviously something wrong with my XP machine (on which it takes upwards of 10 seconds to open). Strange...

Darwin:
BTW... I did wind up upgrading to TCC9. As documented throughout this forum, I have a severe case of upgrade-itis  :o PromptPal and PowerCMD have both been banished to my digital junk collection (for now)!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version