ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Take Command v9 New $20 off, Upgrade $10 off,TC/LE $10 off

(1/7) > >>

myarmor:
Just thought you'd want to know..

Quote from the newsletter:

Get Special Summer Savings Now!
If you've been thinking about buying Take Command v9 or Take
Command/LE v9, now is the time.  We are offering special savings on
all of our products through the end of the month. 

Save $20 on new copies of TCv9 (use coupon "Summer20"). 

Save $10 on upgrade copies of TCv9 (use coupon "Summer10").

Save $10 on new copies of TC/LEv9 (use coupon "Summer10").

These special savings will be gone at the end of the month, so act
now.

http://store.jpsoft.com

Darwin:
Two points to be made here, first the second: a new version will no doubt be rolled out in about three to four months (I took advantage of the same deal on an upgrade from TC/4NT bundle v.7 to 8 this time last year. Version 9 came out in the fall). The other point is that I've run the trial of this twice now and cannot believe how long it takes to load - over 10 seconds with 2 GB RAM under XP Pro. PowerCMD loads pretty much instantly and PromptPal feels quite sluggish in comparison at around 3 seconds... Add a third point to the mix and note that even with the $10 discount an UPGRADE to TCC 9 is $39.95 while licences for the other two mentioned consoles run about $20 and there are frequent updates to PowerCMD, less frequent updates to PromptPal, and upgrades are much less frequent that TCC... I no longer even have TCC 8 installed.

myarmor:
Two points to be made here, first the second: a new version will no doubt be rolled out in about three to four months (I took advantage of the same deal on an upgrade from TC/4NT bundle v.7 to 8 this time last year. Version 9 came out in the fall).
The other point is that I've run the trial of this twice now and cannot believe how long it takes to load - over 10 seconds with 2 GB RAM under XP Pro. PowerCMD loads pretty much instantly and PromptPal feels quite sluggish in comparison at around 3 seconds... Add a third point to the mix and note that even with the $10 discount an UPGRADE to TCC 9 is $39.95 while licences for the other two mentioned consoles run about $20 and there are frequent updates to PowerCMD, less frequent updates to PromptPal, and upgrades are much less frequent that TCC... I no longer even have TCC 8 installed.
-Darwin (June 11, 2008, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
June->February is way longer than 3-4 months, even if you expect v10 to be released next february.
I upgraded in february, when it came up for sale, but before the final was yet available.

If it really do take that kind of time on your computer, then I'd assume you most likely have a very slow computer,
or it is a downside of the trial itself..
On my computer it starts immediately (The pure commandline, i.e same interface as 4NT 8 ), and the gui (Take command)
uses about a second more.

I've never seen TCC 8, but I know TC8 and 4NT8 existed, and the latter was just as fast as this one.
With v9 you get all items you used to get in the JPSuite rolled into one, so 4NT (now TCC)/Take Command/Tabbed Command Interface
are all there.
TCMD and TCI are rolled into the TCMD executable, and TCC is standalone (and used by tcmd).

Slow updates (not upgrades) is usually a bad thing..

Powercmd seems to be the same old cmd with a new suit (no extensions compared to cmd, otherwise you'd expect
it to be listed among the features), although it seems to have other advantages.

Version 9 release is only about 4 months old (I got it when v9 became available for purchase, but before the final was released).

However, I just mentioned if anybody was interested, those that aren't...well..

Darwin:
Heh, heh... TC is upgraded once a year - you can count on it. It's a VERY fine application and I like it. However, the price is steep and unless you are a professional using it constantly, overpriced (but then, the value of anything lies in its value to the person using it). I have no complaint about the functionality of TCC9 or TC8 (thanks for the correction - that was a typo). I was simply trying to warn people that saving $10 on the upgrade today will likely leave you "jonesing" for the next version in a few months, in which case you may very well be out even more money, as AFAICT upgrade pricing is usually in effect for holders of licences for the previous two or three versions.

FWIW, I bought TC6, upgraded to the bundle (TC and 4NT) of version 7 and then again for version 8.

To clarify, the system I had the trial running on is a first generation Centrino running at 1.4Ghz with 2GB RAM on a 5400 rpm 2.5" harddrive. Not a speed demon but not exactly obsolete, either. It's possible that I was overstating the length of time it took TCC9 to load straight out of the box (ie default installation, which loads the GUI and TC) as PromptPal takes 3 seconds as stated (just timed it) and TCC9 was slightly longer, so say 5 seconds to load (I didn't time it when I had it installed and am not interested in installing it again to time it now). I just timed PowerCMD as well and it opened in under a second.

I really *should* have ended my previous post with:

YMMV

Sounds like a good way to end this one...

myarmor:
Heh, heh... TC is upgraded once a year - you can count on it.
-Darwin (June 11, 2008, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The pricing and the most likely target of that app I can agree with you on :)

To be fair, most likely v10 will be around in feb/march, which is way longer than 3-4 months,
but that is to be expected.

You haven't turned off the Task Scheduler service? or changed the prefetch registry settings?
Your speed sounds like did the first couple of runs of tcc after install, which then gets down to <=1 sec after
the prefetching does it's magic. :)

Btw, the last couple of upgrades users of v1-8 has been eligible for it if I remember correctly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version