ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Wanted: Version Control Propaganda Video

<< < (2/2)

f0dder:
Heck, I'd say that if I had a way to divine whether a candidate had ever held such a view in the past, it would automatically disqualify them.-CWuestefeld (June 11, 2008, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why? Learning the error of your ways & accepting you were wrong is a pretty important & valuable attribute to have, imho.

It took me a while to move to version control software... after all, doing automatic incremental RAR archiving of my source partition was easy to set up, and it "worked just fine". Was definitely less work than adopting the new workflows that version control requires.

Obviously, I'd never ever go back to that after I got comfortable with subversion, though.

CWuestefeld:
Heck, I'd say that if I had a way to divine whether a candidate had ever held such a view in the past, it would automatically disqualify them.-CWuestefeld (June 11, 2008, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why? Learning the error of your ways & accepting you were wrong is a pretty important & valuable attribute to have, imho.
-f0dder (June 11, 2008, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
You're right. Please let me rephrase:

If a developer, after having been exposed to version control and having received an explanation of its benefits and the risks it addresses, continues to eschew its usage, then it reveals an attitude that I believe will prevent that developer from being a positively contributing member of the team in the long run.

f0dder: it sounds like you were using your own home-grown SCC. It may not have had all the amenities that we expect, but it addressed many of the needs.

tinjaw:
This is a great generic guide that explains all facets of source control with humour [snip]
-justice (June 11, 2008, 04:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

So far this is the best one I've seen. I may just ask him to read this. I am afraid that it will look like too much work to read it all. I am looking for something shorter if written that one could read in a few minutes while waiting for something else. IOW, no time investment other than idle time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version