ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GloryLogic, you guys suck!

(1/5) > >>

scancode:
I LOVED BurnAware Free Edition. It was lightweight, and easy to use.
I was reinstalling my computer today, and when I went to glorylogic.com I was greeted by this message.

All the rights for the BurnAware project was sold to the BurnAware Technologies company.
BurnAware Free Edition is not available!

BurnAware Express, Home and Professional editions available at official website:
www.burnaware.com

Basically, the good old BA Free, was converted into BA Express. $19.95 USD
No previous warning. Meh.

I'm converting to http://cdburnerxp.se/, but you can get the old BA Free at MajorGeeks.

Darwin:
That does suck, scancode. Still, the real "villains" of this piece are the people that bought BurnAware, no? Though one can't blame them for wanting to turn a profit on their investment...

40hz:

I was reinstalling my computer today, and when I went to glorylogic.com I was greeted by this message.

All the rights for the BurnAware project was sold to the BurnAware Technologies company.
BurnAware Free Edition is not available!

-scancode (June 11, 2008, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Suggestion:

(It's a little late now, but going forward you might try this strategy. :two: )

I keep two folders on my backup drive called DownloadApps and InstalledApps.

I usually use Free Download Manager, and set the default receiving folder to the first. Anything that I install and wind up keeping gets copied over to the second folder. Ditto for any updates related to same. I periodically copy the whole collection over to my own personal Reinstall DVD. That way, if I need to reinstall (or get a new machine - yeah I wish!) I'm set to roll and fully protected from all those greedy SOBs that finally realized they needed to eat once a month and therefor stopped giving their work away! Can you believe the nerve of these people?

Which brings up another point. I'm a firm believer in sending a contribution to the author(s) of any software I regularly use. More to the point - I actually do send it. I do it because I think it's the right thing to do. If you're cynical, then think of it as a form of enlightened self-interest.

More and more free, share, and open software is starting to be gathered up and turned into corporate assets. If you want to keep seeing quality free stuff, start hitting that PayPal button. Five or ten bucks isn't going to break most people. More important, it will let somebody somewhere know that their work is appreciated. Because if we don't, some suit out in California eventually will.

Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest. -Mark Twain

scancode:
Suggestion:

(It's a little late now, but going forward you might try this strategy. :two: )

I keep two folders on my backup drive called DownloadApps and InstalledApps.
-40hz (June 11, 2008, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I save installers, but since I was using 1.0, I was looking for an updated version.

Which brings up another point. I'm a firm believer in sending a contribution to the author(s) of any software I regularly use. More to the point - I actually do send it. I do it because I think it's the right thing to do. If you're cynical, then think of it as a form of enlightened self-interest.

More and more free, share, and open software is starting to be gathered up and turned into corporate assets. If you want to keep seeing quality free stuff, start hitting that PayPal button. Five or ten bucks isn't going to break most people. More important, it will let somebody somewhere know that their work is appreciated. Because if we don't, some suit out in California eventually will.
-40hz (June 11, 2008, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use freeware for one main reason. I can't afford most payware. I truly can't. Five bucks isn't going to break most people, but covers 4 schooldays for me.

40hz:

I use freeware for one main reason. I can't afford most payware. I truly can't. Five bucks isn't going to break most people, but covers 4 schooldays for me.

--- End quote ---

And that's a good enough reason not to. Your school experience is much more important.

I wasn't trying to single out you, or any other individual. Each of us has responsibilities and circumstances that we deal with as best we can. Been there! I've been broke a lot more often than I've been flush. And I'll probably go back and forth a few more times before I'm through. But the point I was trying to make is that we should "give back" if we can responsibly do so. Right now you're investing in yourself - which is the most responsible thing you can and should be doing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version