ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Context menu Antivirus

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lashiec:
You can always disable the services and helper applications using Autoruns and the Services applet in the Control Panel. It's what I did with AntiVir, and works fine.

Darwin:
Hmm... this thread is giving me food for thought. I really like Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper but cannot stand the hit it makes on resources at system start - this with checking for updates and checking status disabled at startup. IF one were to be very diligent in only surfing the net from within a virtual machine or, in my case, from within a sandbox (I use Sandboxie) then one *could* disable to real-time protection... Now, do I have a brass pair big enough to do this? Er, no...

Compensating in Courtenay...

40hz:
IF one were to be very diligent in only surfing the net from within a virtual machine or, in my case, from within a sandbox (I use Sandboxie) then one *could* disable to real-time protection... Now, do I have a brass pair big enough to do this? Er, no...

Compensating in Courtenay...

-Darwin (June 11, 2008, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've done it using ReturnNil. I did a clean install of WinXP and compared the disk image before and after. The system was seriously infected after about a half hour's worth of random surfing. After the reboot it was as squeaky-clean as when it was installed.

BTW: Mine ain't brass either. I was showing a business luncheon group the importance of keeping your system updated and why they should be using AV software. In my neck of the woods there's a riff going round that all the virus/malware news is mostly hype by the people that write AV software. Shoulda seen the look on their faces when the laptop I was using started locking up and doing all sorts of bad stuff!

Configuring laptop: 1 hour 20 minutes
Doing the presentation: 1 hour gratis
Seeing the Drunken Fat Suit who told you "It's all a bunch of BS" eat crow: priceless

manimatters:
You can always disable the services and helper applications using Autoruns and the Services applet in the Control Panel. It's what I did with AntiVir, and works fine.
-Lashiec (June 11, 2008, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thats good. Illl give it a spin.

Any other antivirus hat can function like this?

Darwin:
Configuring laptop: 1 hour 20 minutes
Doing the presentation: 1 hour gratis
Seeing the Drunken Fat Suit who told you "It's all a bunch of BS" eat crow: priceless
-40hz (June 11, 2008, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any other antivirus hat can function like this?
--- End quote ---

BitDefender and Webroot can both do this...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version