topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Context menu Antivirus  (Read 8952 times)

manimatters

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Context menu Antivirus
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Hey guys, im on the lookout of an virus scanner that DOESNOT run in the background, it can add a context menu entry which scans the file(s) when I tell it to, and i should be able to pass files from my downloader to it to scan. Is there any such antivirus? I tried Clamwin portable, but sadly it doesnt scan individual files  ( i think).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Context menu Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:20 AM »
I would have thought most antivirus progs (that are installed) would add context menu option & simply allow you to disable realtime-protection (the one I'm running at the mo does these but it's not available anymore - the AOL/Kapersky/Active Virus Shield)

I'm sure I used use AntiVir in this way
-
I had AVG running as well so I disabled the realtime-protection of AntiVir via the uninstall options actually!
but that was a couple of years ago so couldnt honestly tell you what it's like now
Tom

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:25 AM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04 AM »
You can do it with the latest iteration of AVG. Disable the real-time scanning option after AVG is installed. You have the option to put an entry in the context menu during installation.

There is a fairly good explanation of how to set up a command line scan in the included help file. You'll have to take that info and figure out how to set it up to work with your download manager. I use Free Download Manager Lite. This is what it's setup looks like

AVGSettings2.jpg

The args tell AVG to scan the downloaded file for viruses, also scan for potential spyware, clean detections (if possible) otherwise move the file to quarantine, and report results.

Hope this helped!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:09 AM by 40hz »

manimatters

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:41 AM »
thanks for the info guys, but i guess all all those antivirus you suggested run background processes even if realtime scanning is disabled, and thats what i dont want. I know avg 7.x had the avg control center that had to be running, and i guess others would have similar processes. Any chance theres an antivirus that doesnt need processes until its called for? Otherwise, i guess AVG is a good option.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:43 AM »
You can always disable the services and helper applications using Autoruns and the Services applet in the Control Panel. It's what I did with AntiVir, and works fine.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Hmm... this thread is giving me food for thought. I really like Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper but cannot stand the hit it makes on resources at system start - this with checking for updates and checking status disabled at startup. IF one were to be very diligent in only surfing the net from within a virtual machine or, in my case, from within a sandbox (I use Sandboxie) then one *could* disable to real-time protection... Now, do I have a brass pair big enough to do this? Er, no...

Compensating in Courtenay...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:27 AM »
IF one were to be very diligent in only surfing the net from within a virtual machine or, in my case, from within a sandbox (I use Sandboxie) then one *could* disable to real-time protection... Now, do I have a brass pair big enough to do this? Er, no...

Compensating in Courtenay...

I've done it using ReturnNil. I did a clean install of WinXP and compared the disk image before and after. The system was seriously infected after about a half hour's worth of random surfing. After the reboot it was as squeaky-clean as when it was installed.

BTW: Mine ain't brass either. I was showing a business luncheon group the importance of keeping your system updated and why they should be using AV software. In my neck of the woods there's a riff going round that all the virus/malware news is mostly hype by the people that write AV software. Shoulda seen the look on their faces when the laptop I was using started locking up and doing all sorts of bad stuff!

Configuring laptop: 1 hour 20 minutes
Doing the presentation: 1 hour gratis
Seeing the Drunken Fat Suit who told you "It's all a bunch of BS" eat crow: priceless
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:29 AM by 40hz »

manimatters

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:31 AM »
You can always disable the services and helper applications using Autoruns and the Services applet in the Control Panel. It's what I did with AntiVir, and works fine.

Thats good. Illl give it a spin.

Any other antivirus hat can function like this?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 11:57 AM »
Configuring laptop: 1 hour 20 minutes
Doing the presentation: 1 hour gratis
Seeing the Drunken Fat Suit who told you "It's all a bunch of BS" eat crow: priceless

Any other antivirus hat can function like this?

BitDefender and Webroot can both do this...

manimatters

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 01:30 PM »
Guys, I tried Bitdefender, but it doesnt seem to function without its services/background processes loaded :(

I've installed Antivir now, and it seems to work fine without its services (apart from the updater, it needs its scheduler service to start, i can live with that)

Im now trying to set it up with my download manager (i use getright), anybody knows how to do it?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 03:19 PM »
Guys, I tried Bitdefender, but it doesnt seem to function without its services/background processes loaded :(

Hmmm... perhaps I was wrong about that? I HAVE done this with Webroot, though. I own licences for both it and BitDefender and at one time ran BitDefender as my Real-time AV and Webroot as a schedulted Quick AV scanner and my general purpose Antipsyware app. However, I got fed up of BitDefender losing all of my settings (apparently at random) and losing my registration every couple of weeks. Drove me nuts and became intolerable when I realised that this results in Real-time protection being disabled  :down:

I now run Webroot on my main machine (XP Pro) and thus far have had no problem with BitDefender on my backup notebook (Win2k). The possibility that the two may have been in conflict on my main computer has not escaped me, though I haven't pursued it at all...