ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Context menu Antivirus

(1/3) > >>

manimatters:
Hey guys, im on the lookout of an virus scanner that DOESNOT run in the background, it can add a context menu entry which scans the file(s) when I tell it to, and i should be able to pass files from my downloader to it to scan. Is there any such antivirus? I tried Clamwin portable, but sadly it doesnt scan individual files  ( i think).

tomos:
I would have thought most antivirus progs (that are installed) would add context menu option & simply allow you to disable realtime-protection (the one I'm running at the mo does these but it's not available anymore - the AOL/Kapersky/Active Virus Shield)

I'm sure I used use AntiVir in this way
-
I had AVG running as well so I disabled the realtime-protection of AntiVir via the uninstall options actually!
but that was a couple of years ago so couldnt honestly tell you what it's like now

scancode:
Try http://www.clamwin.com/

40hz:
You can do it with the latest iteration of AVG. Disable the real-time scanning option after AVG is installed. You have the option to put an entry in the context menu during installation.

There is a fairly good explanation of how to set up a command line scan in the included help file. You'll have to take that info and figure out how to set it up to work with your download manager. I use Free Download Manager Lite. This is what it's setup looks like

The args tell AVG to scan the downloaded file for viruses, also scan for potential spyware, clean detections (if possible) otherwise move the file to quarantine, and report results.

Hope this helped!

manimatters:
thanks for the info guys, but i guess all all those antivirus you suggested run background processes even if realtime scanning is disabled, and thats what i dont want. I know avg 7.x had the avg control center that had to be running, and i guess others would have similar processes. Any chance theres an antivirus that doesnt need processes until its called for? Otherwise, i guess AVG is a good option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version