ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted: Compare contents of two RAR archives as if they were directories

<< < (4/5) > >>

lanux128:
I have found this free software but no rar support, only zip files :(

http://www.pismotechnic.com/pfm/ap/-kartal (June 12, 2008, 01:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

i think this is the program that 4wd mentioned. :)

kartal:
Sorry I missed 4wd`s post.

4wd:
Sorry I missed 4wd`s post.-kartal
--- End quote ---

You are forgiven my son :)

Actually, this wouldn't be all that hard to do using AutoIt, eg:

1) Extract archives to two temp directories using UniExtract.
2) Compare and report the contents using any diff program, (BeyondCompare, WinDiff, etc).

The updating of one archive based on the result is a little more interesting but should be possible providing the comparison program can output a plain text difference list, then just pass it to the appropriate archiver to update the chosen archive.

Simple!

Let me know when you've got it done :D

EDIT: A little poking around on SourceForge reveals CompareArchives.  Will do ZIP, EAR, WAR and JAR.  It's written in Java so it's platform independent and if you're able you could modify to do other types.  Output is in the form of a HTML report, (hardcoded to use IEXPLORE.EXE on Windows).

Another EDIT: Thinking about it, the AutoIt, (or similar), way of doing it is probably the only way you're really going to get something like this done w.r.t RAR archives.  Other programs are able to do ZIP, (and others), because they are open-spec algorithms - RAR isn't.  You're always have to have WinRAR installed if you want to do more than just see the results, whereas other programs can actually update archives.

Craig (Scooter):
We actually just finished adding read-only RAR support to the Beyond Compare v3 beta last week and it will be included in the next beta release.  Aside from being read-only it works exactly like the zip support does.

tinjaw:
Thanks for taking the time to post this info Craig. I'll grab the beta.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version