ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted: Compare contents of two RAR archives as if they were directories

(1/5) > >>

tinjaw:
Beyond Compare 2 can compare the contents of two ZIP archives as if they were directories. However it doesn't handle RAR archives. I converted the RAR archives to ZIP archives to do the compare this time, but I don't want to have to do that all the time.

Does anybody know of any program that can handle RAR files natively in this manner?

I wonder if v3 of Beyond Compare can handle them? Maybe I should email Scooter and ask them to add it if it isn't.

fenixproductions:
Total Commander can show you differences. You have to get inside one archive in first panel, inside the second archive in another and choose "Synchronise directories" option from "File" menu.

Unfortunately that is all for handling. Packing RAR files (or repacking during synchronisation) seems impossible because this kind of compression is copyrighted and each software author should pay for this feature.

4wd:
Rather old, shareware and probably unable to handle newer RAR format: ArcDiff - which has a very lenient attitude towards trial period.

Or there's UltraCompare.

Mind you, if DOpus had an ARexx port I could whip you up something in about an hour ;)  (Actually if Windows had any decent inter-process communications language, this would be a breeze.)

tinjaw:
I just thought of something. It would be cool to have a way to mount RAR and other archives to a drive like you can with ISOs. Then you could do all kinds of stuff like comparing, etc.

4wd:
I just thought of something. It would be cool to have a way to mount RAR and other archives to a drive like you can with ISOs. Then you could do all kinds of stuff like comparing, etc.
-tinjaw (June 10, 2008, 08:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not free: WinMount

Actually, these days to mount ISOs I rarely use virtual drives - unless some software specifically requires that it needs access a "drive" or because of copy protection.

Check out Pismo File Mount Audit Package - free and allows you to mount ZIPs, ISOs, Compact ISO, Compact File Set and Private Folder files as virtual folders.

Right-click an ISO, choose Quick Mount then double-click on the ISO file - you're in.  No virtual drives required.

They also have a Pismo File Mount Developer Kit to add support for other filetypes ... RAR anyone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version