ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why are computers getting slower (and what we can do about it)?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Lashiec:
I don't understand how a computer ("for example") in 2008, is slower than the one I ran using Windows ME in 1998!
-zridling (June 06, 2008, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me neither, this 2007 computer is WAY faster than my previous 2000 computer, and that's taking into account software advances during all these years. Besides, it seems you borrowed jgpaiva's Delorean :D

Someone set me straight, and then tell the rest of us how to cure this wicked trend.

--- End quote ---

Sure. Buy a new computer ;D. I think the key is running efficient software instead of opting for the bloated everything-and-the-kitchen-sink suites some developers are forcing into OEM computers, it's what I do, and the differences are clearly felt. Of course, you can't avoid certain bottlenecks here and there, mainly hard drives and network connections, but even then the improvements shine through.

Another thing is if we're talking about how computer in the 80s (either 8-bit or 16-bit systems) felt so fast back then, but that's clearly explained by Deozaan's post, you have a very limited amount of resources and a even more limited set of features to play with, so you have to give it your best shot.

Darwin:
I dunno though... I have a circa 2000 notebook running Wn2k with 512MB RAM and two Centrino machines (2004 and 2006 vintages) running XP Pro Sp-3 (2004) and Sp-2 (2006), both with 2GB RAM. The Win2k machine and the 2006 XP Pro machine are running Office 2003 and the 2004 XP Pro machine is running Office 2007. The Win2k machine is the quickest of the lot...

I put this down to the fact that on system boot it's running about 40 process vs. 71 on my older XP Pro machine, to the fact that it only has a handful of applications installed (vs. about 325 on the older XP machine), and to the differences between memory requirements for Win2k and XP. Note: both XP machines are set to Windows Classic and have the themes service disabled...

Main point is that old P-IIIE 600mhz processor with 512MB RAM is still a viable, useful machine. Who'd a thunkit in 2000 when I bought it? Well, OK, I certainly didn't! Can't speak for the rest of you...

nite_monkey:
I've noticed that with the current computer that I am using, my windows xp partition is really slow (2008) (partially because I have a problem with installing to much stuff), but on my ubuntu partition that I am using right now, so far the only thing I can throw at my computer and have it start slowing down is second life, but then again, second life has massive problems with memory leak issues.

cmpm:
I have a few p3's and they do fine except for video stuff.
They'll play youtubes and the like but live stuff isn't so great.
Like my web cam or live tv.
They do better with my web cam if I shut some things down.
I just use it for Skype.
The sound, mic and headset work fine.

Though I know a new one would be faster if I streamlined it like these.
They are ok for now.

icekin:
I recommend getting WinPatrol, which is free and installing it on your computer. There's also a portable version available. It can show all the start-up programs on your computer. You can then choose to disable the unnecessary ones and delay the less important ones.

I've used the delay feature to push all the less important services and programs to start up well after 2 minutes. I also leave a gap of 20 seconds between each of the delayed program starting, so they don't all hog the CPU at once. This has reduced the boot time of my computer to under 1 minute (time from boot to get to desktop). After 1 minute, my computer is responsive and I can already start launching programs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version