ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Nofollow tags added to all external links

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
Just wanted to mention that NoFollow tags are now being added to all url links that appear on forum posts (thanks to this smf mod).

nofollow is an HTML attribute value used to instruct some search engines that a hyperlink should not influence the link target's ranking in the search engine's index. It is intended to reduce the effectiveness of certain types of search engine spam, thereby improving the quality of search engine results and preventing spamdexing from occurring in the first place.
--- End quote ---

This should make it less attractive for spammers to post links to their sites, and reduce any benefit to them if they do.

lanux128:
this is good! hopefully after this the spammers will reduce their 'affection' towards DC forums. :D

app103:
I doubt it, since search engines are not the only incentive they have. The purpose is to drive traffic to their site by any means, be that in search results from a search engine or by actual humans reading their posts & clicking.

With the number of members this forum has, and the volume of traffic, it is amazing that the spamming isn't more intense than it is. (or is it and we have fast mods that catch it faster than it can be picked up by MouserBot in the irc channel and that's why I haven't noticed it?)

mediaguycouk:
Surely a lot of recommended software from this forum should go up higher in search rank terms?

Can't it just be <50 or <100 posts?

scancode:
I agree with mediaguycouk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version