topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help needed with NVidia upgrade  (Read 8785 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help needed with NVidia upgrade
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Hope someone will have a solution to this problem.

I just upgraded Nvidia driver and the sound is now coming out of the notebook as well as the earphones.
Usually when earphones are on the sounds are supposed to cut off from the notebook right?  :huh:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help needed with NVidia upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:18 PM »
Uh, I guess so, did it happen before? Perhaps you should do a clean reinstall of the drivers, that is, uninstall the current ones, use something like DriverSweeper or DriverCleaner to clean the remains, and install them again.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:51 PM »
Thanks for dropping bye Laschiec!
I somehow managed to finally remove upgraded Nvidia drive and re-installed original one.
Everything is okay but the sound was pretty nifty on the upgrade.
Wish i could have kept it. :(

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:33 PM »
I second Lashiec.

Old Driver Removal
Now we move on to the simplest, and yet most commonly mishandled part of using graphics drivers - the removal of previous Nvidia graphics drivers.

http://www.tweakguid...s.com/NVFORCE_3.html

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 04:21 AM »
Nosh, Laschiec,

Do appreciate your generous help and will take a more detailed look at it after this weekend to see how i can get the upgraded drivers hooked up properly. You heard of "Radar Sync"? Apparently Chris Pirillo has recommended it and it really does find updates for drivers. But the installation instructions are another story...

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 08:00 AM »
Create a system restore point before updating drivers. That's much easier for rollbacks, etc.

You didn't mention laptop vendor, etc. so your solution may vary. For example, for Lenovo, they block direct updates from Nvidia. There are ways around this that I've found (see link below), but I had no compelling reason to implement.

However, I once talked with a level 2 support person (someone who actually treated me like an intelligent software developer). He pointed out that one reason for blocking generic driver updates is that manufacturers add in extra stuff. In this case (Lenovo) they add (he said) stuff for their softkey support, etc.

But, he went on to say that usually, if you download and reinstall the softkey support module (I'm using this as an example), then it somehow restores the softkeys, but with the new video drivers. So, go figure.

The point here is that there's a good chance you can upgrade the driver, and then reinstall something for sound, etc. The trick is just that you need to reinstall the current driver, so that it is the "last one", etc.

For NVidia, there is a specific 3rd party forum site that provides work around .lNF files to allow installing the drivers on a lot of laptops, etc. They might also be able to specifically help you with your driver update. http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Let us know how it goes if you are successful.  Also, to say again, I didn't update my video driver this way, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

joncheng

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:41 PM »
I'd try RadarSync.  Its been mentioned before on this forum - https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3224.0  - and seems to work well.  Plus it's free.  http://www.radarsync.com

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:03 PM »
tabletguy: wtf, have 3rd-party people started doing custom drivers again for nvidia GPUs? I thought that stopped somewhere about/after the dreaded FX series. It was SO annoying having to get specific ASUS/MSI/whatever drivers back in the GeForce4 and earlier days... why don't people ever learn? >_<
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Well, my board is using nVidia custom drivers by Asus, I ignore what's the difference compared with the ones nVidia offers in its site, but its version number is higher, and revision dates are more recent as well. Also, nVidia is not known for being that prolific in releasing driver updates, so maybe they offload some work to 3rd parties.

I think both in the case of boards and laptops makes sense, considering the changes assemblers introduce compared with the reference designs. Regarding GPUs, I don't think the speed of development in that field leaves much space to the possibility of each assembler modifying drivers for each model, even more now that most cards are essentially the same, save for different coolers or higher clockspeeds.

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 09:19 PM »
f0dder:

AFAIK, they just modify the INF files to include more machines in the allowable install file. They also seem to have an active forum to help people.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 10:53 PM »
f0dder:

AFAIK, they just modify the INF files to include more machines in the allowable install file. They also seem to have an active forum to help people.

Nvidia's forum may be active, but users only - you won't see Nvidia representatives there helping out much.

Also, Nvidia will NOT offer any support if your graphics card came pre-installed in your computer.  When you go to their support page the first thing you encounter is a question asking you to check off which situation fits:  directly purchased and installed your Nvidia card, or the card came pre-installed in your computer.  If the second case is true they say they're sorry but you must contact your computer manufacturer for support.  They will only support direct purchases.  Believe me, I have tried several times to get help from them!

Also, I haven't seen what sound card the OP has.  The problem could actually be a conflict between the new Nvidia driver and the sound card driver.  Often happens with Nvidia graphics cards and Creative SB sound cards.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 11:00 PM »
To illustrate what I said in my previous post about Nvidia only supporting direct purchases, here are a couple of screen captures from Nvidia's Support page.  This is on the first page when you click on the "Support" link:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

And here is what you see when you click on the first link, if your graphics card came as part of a computer purchase:

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

Jim

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Yeah, nvidia forums don't really get attention from the developers... for example, screen rotation is abysmally slow (feels almost as if hardware accel is disabled when you rotate) on nvidia cards/drivers (at least "some versions" back) - and nvidia totally ignored the thread about it. ATi cards, even with their superbuggy and dangerous drivers, worked as they should (at least back on Radeon9600 :)).
- carpe noctem